Various philosophers have said “if you don’t know where you came from, you can’t know where you’re going.” In order that Newark knows where it came from the Post will be publishing Out of Our Past, as a companion to Out of the Attic. Content of Out of Our Past will be excerpts from the earliest city government records. These handwritten records frequently have questionable spelling and no punctuation. That’s fun to see, but for easier reading this deficiency has been rectified in the transcription by Barbara White. For our readers’ enjoyment this account from the past will be published every week and is being made available through the generosity of Pencader Heritage Museum.
Published: Jan. 6, 2017
March-June 1931 - Contractor working on new school was leaving Lovett Avenue in "disorderly condition" and was asked to clear up. Tunneling under B&O crossing on West Main was offered as a suggestion to stop continued damage to water main by vibration from trains. The railroad agreed to supervise any work done on same. H.B Wright Company won contract to supply a year's worth of incandescent bulbs for street lamps. U.D yearbook committee asked Council to buy an ad but was refused. At the behest of National Vulcanized Fibre Council wrote to Levy Court requesting use of County's steam roller, by NVF, to roll a portion of the Company's private road. Attention was called to an open well on Baldwin Manufacturing Company property. Contract at $18,241 for work on West Main, Corbit, Margaret, Annabelle, South Chapel Streets, and New London and Cleveland Avenues was awarded to O'Connell & Sons Company. Payment to Farmers' Trust of $10,000 left a loan balance of $10,000. Mrs. Frank Fader was paid $10.00 for damages to her car by town truck. Clinton Tweed was paid $55.00 for plastering interior of waterworks building. New Century Club urged Council to make an annual donation of $500.00 toward maintenance of Newark Free Library. A dispute arose over electrical work being done at U/D farm by town employees. Local contractors thought it should have been by bid, but Council said town was responsible for work and had it done by town linemen.
Published: Jan. 13, 2017
June-August 1931 - A storm sewer on Wilbur Street, 200 - 250 feet long would cost $1000.00.Wallace Cook complained of damage to his property on West Main caused by street work on Corbit, so Council agreed to visit the site as a group and make recommendations. Frank Wilson complained of Phillips Packing Company's illuminated sign and asked Council to approach the company about turning it off. Council replied town had no jurisdiction as company was outside town limits. Calvin Hess and ten other property owners on East Main asked for curbing all the way to town limits. Changes to entrance of fire station were needed, and Aetna agreed to split the cost of $220.00. Time cards were instituted for Police Department, officers to show on-duty hours, calls answered, etc., during their tours. Dr. Downes, representing Board of Health, had a police officer appointed to accompany him while he issued unsanitary conditions warnings to restaurants operated by Gavatos & Lagges and O. Jackson. Dr. Downes also requested use of a Council room as a tuberculosis clinic for children once a month. There were four applications for positions as police officers, but there being no vacancies the applications were filed. Chief Keely was not paid for two weeks he was off work while ill. Ralph Haney was concerned about possible new street adjoining his property on East Main. Council assured him no new street was planned. Due to increased load, needed upgrades to wiring on South College, were approved.
Published: Jan. 20, 2017
August-September 1931 - Council wanted a warning sign at the Pennsylvania RR crossing on South College. Since Farmers' Trust owned the property, they were approached about repairing a hole in the pavement fronting Cook's store on Main Street. A payment of $200.00 on the sewer construction loan was made. The Board of Health had acquired use of a room in the Academy Building for town welfare purposes and asked Council for a donation toward renovations. Council decided to await renovation totals then decide what to do. George Casho complained, due to bad grade on Lovett Avenue curbing, his pavement was too low. He considered it town's error and he should not have to pay for repairs. For fencing around disposal plant two gates, 6 "Danger" signs, and barbed wire for top of fence were needed. Disposal plant operator Homer VanSant was willing to buy a used Ford, thereby increasing his efficiency, if Council would give him $10.00 a month for gas and Council agreed. The grounds of the plant needed a great deal of work done. The red light at Elkton Road and Main Street often tied up traffic, so it would be changed to an amber globe with "Caution" on it. White lines delineating crossings on Main would be painted in place. A drainage ditch near the Kandy Kitchen would be covered. Two new wells at the waterworks were complete and work on a third progressing.
Published: Jan. 27, 2017
October-December 1931 - Council again postponed donating money to the new Health Center due to unexpected expenses connected to new wells. State Board of Health suggested Newark match state levels on milk safety requirements. Council agreed to build 4 steps to Reginald Rose's property necessitated by changed street grade. Garbage must be drained or collector would not take it. On October 9 Officer Keeley was fired, effective immediately, for conduct unbecoming an officer and being absent without leave. He disagreed with Council's decision to pay only half of October salary. Leroy Hill was appointed to fill the vacancy and William Cunningham was made chief. Phillips Packing asked to have 25% surcharge on water usage levied against out-of-town consumers abated. Council agreed. An extra water meter was installed so contractor would have to pay for water used during construction of gymnasium at new high school on Academy Street. "Safety blocks" would be installed at intersections along South College and at North College and Cleveland Avenue. The Great Depression was being felt. More and more applications for jobs on police force were being received, but no openings available. Lions Club sponsored door-to-door selling by unemployed people, but each must get a free permit from town.
January 1932 - A new stove was needed to heat the jail. A new lock was placed on outside door of jail to make that different from cell locks. Police officer Mann resigned and Elmer Morrison was elected to fill vacancy.
Published: Feb. 3, 2017
February-April 1932 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Balance in treasury $6819, remaining $10,000 of indebtedness paid off. Council declined to take an ad in the Del-Mar-VA Eastern Shore Association magazine saying the $150.00 could better be used at home. Informal discussion underway about reducing taxes. B&O RR still hadnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t done repairs to West Main crossing, promised a year ago. Surface water collected and drained into some residential basements. Council asked town engineer to investigate and install drain. With libraryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s recent change to a free, not subscription, library the Newark Free Library Association asked town to donate electricity. Council declined, without more information on financial standing of the libraryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s backers. Daylight Savings Time was approved for 1932. The 1-1/2 ton truck needed 2 new tires. The Gates and Duhamel residences on North Chapel Street shared a 3/4 inch water line which was insufficient. The town would install a separate line to the Gates house free of charge. A motor at the sewage disposal plant burned out. It was decided to install 2 overload relays and other equipment to protect the motors. Fifteen gallons of paint were purchased for painting street lines, yellow instead of previous white. Mr. McCann was asked to repair pavement in front of his property. Newly re-elected Councilmen Lovett, Widdoes, and Hubert were sworn in. Frank Collins as mayor and Councilmen Mote, Ferguson, and Stoll continued in office. Laura Hossinger and Alice Kerr continued as town secretary and bookkeeper, at $112.50/month, a reduction of $12.50/month.
Published: Feb. 10, 2017
April-July 1932 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ The town's indebtedness for infrastructure improvements was $250,000. Yearly payment for 1932 would be approximately $7500. Cash on hand was $11,937. The drainage field at the disposal plant was seeded with timothy and other grasses. Sixty tons of sand were purchased for the sludge beds at $1.35/ton delivered. John Slack of Prospect Avenue was told to pay his water bill for 1931 or service would be discontinued. U/D sent a letter of thanks for townÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s aid during the Spring Frolic. The newly free library asked for $500 per year for three years from Council, the New Century Club offering to pay half that obligation. However Council wanted to consult their attorney concerning townÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s right to use money for such purposes. The town property assessment for tax purposes was $5,155,329. The tax rate would be 55 cents/per $100 evaluation. The town dump was filled up and new place being sought. A sidewalk was needed on Academy Street for protection of school children walking along the street. Town engineer suggested improvements to Kells Avenue, Center and New Streets, East Park Place and Elkton Road. The contract went to George & Lynch Company for $12,460. Many complaints of mosquitoes were received and a student at the university, who was working on ways to abolish the pests, would be consulted. Signs at east entrance to town and disposal plant needed repainting and a sign Ã¢â‚¬Å“Drive SlowlyÃ¢â‚¬Â mounted at West Main and Elkton Road.
Published: Feb. 17, 2017
July-November 1932 - Sewer on Amstel Avenue was extended through J. P. Wright's property to the main connector. Mr. Nutter was named temporary police officer at $4.00/day, filling in for Office Hill who was absent due to death of his father. A residents' petition was presented asking that U/D install sidewalks along its property on Academy Street, said petition being forwarded to the university. George & Lynch, Inc. was paid $7400 for street work including storm drains, scraping, rolling and patching. George Huber estate property on East Delaware Avenue was weedy and being used as a dumping ground. Owners were told to clean it up or Council would and put a lien on it, under the Nuisance Ordinance. Typhoid was in the surrounding areas and the Dr. Downes would decide if a warning should be published in local papers. November-December Residents on Orchard Road said their sidewalks had been installed to town specifications but when the street was improved the walks were not even. Council had the sidewalks re-done, absorbing the cost of 21.5 cents/foot. Mrs. Christadoro asked that the Water Works get a private phone line as it was currently on her party line and late night calls to the plant were very annoying. Council took no action. The monthly police report mentioned Officer Morrison's arrest of Archie Brooks, but no details were given. Council called for redemption of $10,000 in infrastructure bonds, original due date being December 1936.
Published: Feb. 24, 2017
November-December-1932 - It was now three years into the Great Depression and the Mayor's Committee on Relief and Welfare, previously organized, asked about soliciting funds. Council suggested raising as much as possible through private donations, then Council would make up any shortfall. Town Supervisor reported a number of men had applied for work and Council told him to coordinate with the Welfare Committee on any hiring. The storm drain at Delaware and Academy was not sufficient and water was draining into the basement of William Crow. Re-bids were requested for painting signs, stipulating sanding and two applications each of primer and top color. Moving fire hydrant near Richard's Store on West Main would cost $125.00-$150.00, repairing in present location would cost about $50.00. Fairbanks, Morse Company representatives presented tentative plans and prices for a Diesel engine plant to generate townÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s electricity. Delaware Power & Light Company was asked for best deal on renewing town's contract. One $10.00 fine assessed by the Alderman was paid in firewood to that value. It was suggested that an officer be placed at Chapel and Main each afternoon 5:15 to 5:45 to move traffic more smoothly as workers left Continental-Diamond Fibre Company. No action taken. Officers Hill and Morrison said they needed a six cents/mile allowance to use their own cars on official business as they could not always catch offenders on foot. Council said to turn in a report each month showing mileage used for town business.
Published: Mar. 10, 2017
December 1932- Edward Herbener was awarded contract to paint two town signs at $55.00. Reginal Rose thanked Council for cement work done to his driveway on Haines Street. Requests for water rate reduction were tabled. D.P.& L. offered contract for renewal at .0185 cents per kilowatt hour. Alternatives of generating or continuing to buy electricity were presented at a town meeting with majority vote to continue buying. Final negotiations with power company resulted in a five-year contract at .0140 per kWh with $1000 minimum monthly purchase guarantee. Deep snow along curbs was a traffic menace and unemployed men were hired to shovel snow onto town trucks for removal.
January 1933-Balance in treasury $6437.53. Fairbanks, Morse Company wanted a letter of appreciation for their efforts to sell the town a Diesel plant, although town didn't buy. Council refused to put a policeman at Delaware and Academy, saying it was Board of Education's duty to man the intersection as they had two special officers sworn for school duty, or they could delegate teachers and older students to help. Mark Malcom complained he had suffered an â€œinjusticeâ€ at the hands of Officer Cunningham. Council said nothing could be done until they heard Officer Cunningham's side of the story and the proper place for a hearing was before the Magistrate. Council revoked the allowance for officers using their own cars when the bill for the first month came in at almost $25.00 each.
Published: Mar. 17, 2017
February-April 1933- Jonathan Johnson was put on notice to improve the quality of milk sold in town or be fined. Fifty dollars were donated to the Visiting Nurse and $500 to Aetna Fire Company. Officer Morrison was reimbursed $10.00 for trouser purchase and told to get permission in future before buying any uniform items. Renters were charged $5.00 deposit to have electricity turned on. George Leak wanted Council's help to stop State Highway Department laying sidewalk in front of his garage (located in triangle where Ogletown Road and Main Street now meet). Due to the depression Council decided water fee rebates should be made on residences unoccupied at least three months in 1932, although such rebates had not been made in the past. Rebates were not to exceed $7.50. Unemployed men hired to trim trees were to be paid outright instead of through the Welfare Committee. Town Supervisor suggested unused plots of land in town be offered to the unemployed for gardens. The Red Cross would furnish seeds. Curbs and gutters on North Chapel were in poor condition. Sidewalks fronting the Cann and Wilson properties in poor condition and Council asked they be repaired while cement and labor costs were currently low. School Superintendent Brinser wanted an officer at Delaware and Academy for school noon dismissal days. Since the town had provided a traffic light there, Council said it was up to the Board of Education to provide further precautions.
Published: Mar. 24, 2017
April-June 1933- Following 1933 election Councilmen, Widdoes, Stoll, Ferguson, Lovett, Wollaston and Hubert took office with Frank Collins as Mayor. American Legion and VFW requested financial aid to fund Memorial Day observation and Council agreed to give $40.00 maximum. Louise Baldwin was considering filing suit against the town because her car had skidded on ice and hit a pole which was too close to the curb. The Campbell estate was requested to repair the sidewalk in front of Dale's Jewelry Store. Estimates were sought for cost of painting Council office and putting in a partition upstairs. Fire hydrants and street lines were to be painted and 2 pushcarts to collect dirt on Main Street were ordered at $24.50 each. Any ten-year resident who had always been current with electric bill would not have to pay a deposit when moving within the town. Town tax base for 1933 was assessed at $5,176,929. Trucks hauling dirt to the new high school grounds were dropping some dirt on Lovett Avenue in passing and residents complained. Delbert Nabb was at the end of the water line on Elkton Road and complained of rusty water and the pipes were to be flushed. Bids came in for painting town water tanks, but they were from out-of-towners and Council wanted bids from local parties. Complaints were received about dirty conditions in front of Armstrong's Paper and Newark Department Stores on Sunday. Tenants were asked to clean up.
Published: Mar. 31, 2017
June-August 1933- George Porter of Choate Street wanted help in paying for cleaning tree roots from his lateral sewer pipe. Council said â€œnoâ€ because it would set a precedent. Two more police light, Main/Academy and Main/South College were okayed. A new police motorcycle was approved. Mayor Collins and Chief Cunningham went to Wilmington dealers seeking very best price on Harley-Davidson or Indian cycle, with trade-in on old damaged bike. Town attorney Charles Evans died and J. P. Cann was offered the position at $100.00 per year. The tax rate was set at .50 cents /hundred dollars, a reduction of .05 cents over 1932. Fifteen tons of small stone were needed for street work, so it was decided to get prices on a carload and possibly purchase that amount. Six hundred fifty feet of thirty-inch pipe was needed at a cost of 2.35/foot, but action was tabled. Louis Handloff's request to have the A&P Store, apartments and Newark Department Store assessment lowered was denied. Some residence rates were reduced, but Thomas Maclary's $10,000 was not. Assessments were exclusive of the land. Some streets and storm sewer extension were considered for work and bids were confined to in-state contractors. Five bids, labor only, to paint two west end water tanks ranged from $74 to $175.00 John Moore at $74.00 got the job. An estimated thirty gallons of aluminum paint cost $2.15/gallon and Kuehule Company would take back unused portion.
Published: Apr. 7, 2017
June-July 1933- Council temporarily let stand a tree in the middle of Ray Street because the adjacent property owner requested it, saying there is very little traffic on the street. He would be responsible for any work needed on it. Officer Hill was reimbursed $7.65 for tire repair on his personal vehicle, damaged in discharge of his duty. George Bennett complained power to his store was disconnected. Council said it was because he had a Kelvinator which had been connected in front of the meter, thereby not being charged to him and power would not be restored until he paid $3.00/month for as long as the refrigerator had been in use. Mr. Bennett said he would not pay, therefore Council considered the matter closed. The traffic light at Main and Chapel was readjusted to give both sides equal time to accommodate â€œautoistsâ€ leaving Continental-Diamond Fibre in the afternoon. Oliviere Construction Company won the bid at $13,216 to work on N. Chapel and Academy Streets, Lovett and Amstel Avenues and a storm sewer extension.
August 1933- Continental-Diamond had staggered their shifts, so the traffic congestion was eased and the Main/Chapel light timing would not be changed. The five-year payment option on property sewer assessments had ended. Any accounts in arrears would be subject to legal collection with fines. Bertha Tweed complained she should not have to pay excess water fees when some houses were not yet metered, but Council took no action.
Published: Apr. 14, 2017
September-December 1933- George Baker complained that store circulars were being thrown about town, suggesting merchants substitute little booklets instead. The American Legion has weighed in on the question of an officer at Delaware and Academy during coming and going of students. Council had been refusing the school superintendent's request, but Mayor Collins finally agreed to consult with Chief Cunningham and try to work out manning the intersection at least when school is dismissed. Weeds on vacant lots were an eyesore so town attorney Mr. Cann was consulted. Overhanging branches on South College Avenue trees were a problem so permission to trim them was sought from property owners. The Wilson Family offered to deed, free, some lots adjacent to those already owned by the town, but Council said â€œnoâ€, having no use for them. The water works needed a new deep-well turbine pump at a cost of $743. Mayor Collins advocated placing of â€œstop buttonsâ€ at Kent Way-Orchard Road and Amstel Avenue-Elkton Road. Chief Cunningham was to get a flat $12.00/month for gas and oil. Mayor Collins was to see about getting town employee Mr. Ellison a raincoat. A large percentage of town taxes were outstanding so a newspaper notice went out reminding citizens that unpaid taxes would incur a penalty after January 1. Questioned about town's liability for damage to officers' personal cars while on town duty, attorney Cann said Council was not responsible for any damage outside of town limits.
Published: Apr. 21, 2017
January-February 1934- Council wanted a State police officer headquartered in Newark, so Mayor Collins agreed to contact State Police commander. Council was looking into liability insurance for officers' accidents while on duty. Approximately 482,000 gallons of water a day were being pumped. Clarence Crossan was warned milk he was selling had too high a bacteria count. Council put the water works phone on a private line, removing it from the local party line. Residents of Winslow Road wanting street improvements were told no new work was planned until after the town election in April. The Imperial Order of Red Men invited Council to a February 20th patriotic rally. The Visiting Nurses' Association got $75.00 for their annual donation instead of the usual $50.00. Mayor Collins said he had been approached several times by federal agents in regard to building an airport here, but he did not feel that the town should be involved in a project of that kind. Permission for sale of alcohol at hotels was mentioned but no action on the question was recorded. Fraternities were told snow must be cleared from their sidewalks whether college was in session or not and all residents were reminded snow must be cleared within the required time or they would be fined. Children were hitching sleds to backs of cars, so officers were told to warn them off and a notice would also go into the newspapers.
Published: May 5, 2017
March-April 1934- The Delaware Food & Grocery Distributors Code Authority thanked Council for use of the Chamber for a meeting. Council agreed to cooperate in a celebration of the U/D's centenary with illumination, decoration, etc. possibly at Memorial Library and Old College. Total outlay to be no more than $100 and cost of lighting. Louis Baldwin filed a formal suit against the town for an accident suffered on a slippery street in 1933. Chief Cunningham reported on an accident between Sheaffer and Gallagher, stating a child was in the hospital and the driver at liberty under $500 bond. The Methodist Church scheduled a conference and asked that certain parking regulations be waived. Officers were told not to give tickets in specific areas. Improved electrical service was needed on East Park and Council was looking for the most economical way to accomplish this. One ton of Amosite was ordered for patching streets. Frank Lutton and Walter Blackwell were appointed judges for the town election. Mr. Black, superintendent of lighting for the town, was arrested a second time for DUI and without a license so he was fired. Delaware Power & Light agreed to recommend someone, Council setting his salary at $150/month. Arthur Hill asked permission to install gas pumps at his garage on New London Avenue. Council agreed, but reserved the right to approve location. Yellow paint for street lines cost $1.95/gallon. Ongoing controversy over police protection at Delaware/Academy for school children.
Published: May 12, 2017
April-June 1934-After 1934 election Council consisted of Mayor Collins and Councilmen Stoll, Ferguson, Wollaston, Widdoes, Lovett and Hubert. Council petitioned Delaware Liquor Commission saying the present three licenses for the sale of malt and spirituous liquors were enough to accommodate the needs of the populace and asked that no additional licenses be issued. Council suggested that at license renewal time, the hotels in town be restricted to sale of liquor for on-site consumption. Council paid $100 for 30 streamers commemorating U/D centenary celebration. Town office would no longer be open on Wednesday nights. Town police were commended by the Methodists for their cooperation during church conference. Two complaints received: radio interference during windy weather and boys were digging holes in Mr. Huber's field which caused a hazard. Bids were requested from Chevrolet and Ford for a new half-ton truck. A supply of calcium chloride, a dust deterrent, was ordered for street application.
June 1934-Mrs. McKelvey complained limiting sale of alcohol by hotels to that consumed onsite would cut into her revenue forcing her to close her hotel. Vic Willis owner of Washington House concurred. Council withdrew its objection to hotels selling packaged liquor, saying the Liquor Commissioners should use their own judgement in the matter. Two â€œStopâ€ buttons were ordered for the intersection of Main and Center. Cost of new half-ton Chevrolet truck was $469.55 with trade-in. Due to extension of gas mains, Delaware Power & Light's tax assessment was raised by $17,000.
Published: May 19, 2017
June-August 1934-Street work was planned for Academy, Haines, Winslow, Lovett and Wollaston. Garbage collector Mr. Brannan said twice-a-week collection during the summer would require more payment. Tax rate was left at .50/$100 with 5% rebate if paid in July. Finances were in good shape and the town was able to redeem $10,000 in bonds. Rev. Welbon asked that Officer Hill be reprimanded for testifying while in uniform in favor of Frank Truhlar. Council declined. Council agreed to reimburse Diamond Ice & Coal and Dennison Motors for curb and guttering they had installed on Haines Street. The Opera House was deemed unsafe for showing moving pictures and town attorney was asked to write a prohibiting ordinance. Neighbors were complaining that McMullen property on S. College had never been connected to the sewer and the Board of Health was asked to take action. Since Mrs. Rupp was on the Old Age Pension List in 1933 her taxes for that year were returned. The State Welfare Commission was asked to inform the town when persons were placed on the list in order to keep tax records up-to-date.
August-1934-Bacteria count was up at several milk producers and they were urged to pack their milk in ice during the summer. In regard to fire safety in public buildings Mr. Ellison, fire Marshall would be asked to submit a list of things and activities to be prohibited so an ordinance could be written forbidding them.
Published: June 2, 2017
August-October 1934-Complaints of street flooding during heavy rain near the Chinese Laundry and James Pappas's store, but no action taken. Levy Court wanted Newark to share cost of repairs to small bridge on Creek Road. Sides of the new bridge were deemed unsafe so town engineer was ordered to fill in with a retaining wall. Levy Court had promised to pay half the cost for small bridge on Lovett Avenue, but had failed to pay their share of $438.00. Some electrical customers were constantly in arrears, but there was no formal plan in place for collection. Town engineer suggested doubling the size of city well, but Council decided it wasn't needed at this time. NVF Company's request to have a 15' street on their property turned over to the town was referred to town attorney since Newark streets had to be 30'. U/D complained that Council had never followed through on the plan to widen the west side of South College between Delaware and Main, thus creating an unsightly hazard. More â€œStopâ€ buttons were authorized for intersections. Fire Marshall Ellison's inspection of town found numerous fire hazards and property owners were notified to rectify them. Delaware State Police commended Officer Hill for his help in arresting two men September 4th. A citizen submitted ideas for â€œabating the nuisanceâ€ of handbills, but they were tabled. Dennison Motors and Diamond Ice & Coal got their requested refunds for curbing they had installed.
Published: June 16, 2017
October-December 1934-Officers Morrison and Hill were each given a $10.00/month gas allowance. Council wanted State Highway Department to erect signs at town entrances . Residents personally contacted about fire hazards promised to correct them. Milk Inspector Baker wanted a notice inserted in newspapers that using milk bottles for coal oil, carbolic acid or other non-foods was illegal. Repairs by PRR near their station were nearing completion. U/D complimented town officers for their work concerning a robbery on campus. Complaints were lodged against the Oliviere and Julian Construction Companies that they had paid summer laborers only 30¢ /hour instead of using Newark men on the Welfare Plan at 35¢ /hour. The Pentecostal Church wished to buy land for a church on Haines Street owned by the town. It was decided to sell them the requested 60' lot at $5.00/foot. Residents of South Chapel presented a petition to have building restrictions applied to their street but, it was not acted on. A dead-end reflector was ordered for the end of Center Street.
January 1935-Treasury balance was $21,303.53. Taxes of $355.85 deemed uncollectable due to insufficient funds were written off. Electric bills amounting to $1228.53 were also written off. Another $10,000 in bonds was called in for redemption making $30,000 paid off in the last fiscal year. John Ernest's car had been damaged in the amount of $10.40 on a loose manhole cover and he was reimbursed for the expense of repairs
Published: June 23, 2017
January-March 1935-Howard Williams built a house on South Chapel beyond the building line and would have to move it back. Roots in sewer pipes were a problem and the town engineer would write to Washington for information on alleviating them. Remodeling the old substation into a garage for town trucks would cost $500. Pennsylvania RR reported working on installing blinker lights at the South College grade crossing. Bonds worth $10,000 had been retired making the total for fiscal year $30,000. Donation to Visiting Nurse Association was $100. Mayor Collins would decide whether to get office typewriter repaired or get a new one. Labor to dig out from a snowstorm cost $221, town men being aided by others needing work. A permit was needed for direct delivery of milk to restaurants by farmers, assuring that milk met standards. An average of 443,000 gallons of water were pumped daily from town wells. County sheriff refused to appoint Newark officers as deputy sheriffs without a $1000 bond each, although the dispute went all the way to Governor Buck. Council objected to exempting fraternity houses from town taxes, considering them clubs.
April 1935- Previous dispute being solved, three Newark officers were commissioned deputy sheriffs with no cost to town. State law disallowed Sunday baseball and those opposed were told to make a formal petition to have ordinance changed. The driver would be contacted about a large truck parked nightly on Choate Street which impeded traffic.
Published: June 30, 2017
April-June 1935-Residents of Lumbrook would be asked to share cost of installing a fireplug in the neighborhood. John Slack, Jr. would be paid $6.40 for unspecified injuries received in March, if he signed a release. The owner of a truck blocking traffic on Choate Street at night would be willing to rent a garage if one could be found with sufficient clearance. Council refused special water and electric rates for the Armory, since U/D and others would want special exemptions, too. John Kirk of Capitol Trail wanted connection to town water lines. However, lines were under control of J. Willis who asked a price of $300 for connection which Council thought exorbitant. Apparently Mr. Willis had paid for lines to be extended to his property earlier. Council would investigate. Several fireplugs in town were obsolete. The outflow sewer from the collector at New London Avenue and Boogy run would be extended another 50' downstream. Original maps of water, sewer and etc. lines would be kept in vault at Farmer's Bank, with copies in town engineer's office. A few streetlights would be supplied with 150 watt lamps as a test. Another $20,000 worth of bonds were called for redemption. Specifications for $13,000 worth of street repairs were ordered. Yearly tax rate for 1935-36 was reduced by 10%. Col. U.S. Grant at Ft. DuPont was thanked for sending 3 units to Memorial Day parade and for the excellent job the men did.
Published: July 14, 2017
June-October 1935-Mr. Waples of Newark Lumber complained that Hollingsworth Supply Company got more town business than he did. Earlier, an insurance agent had asked that town business be more equally divided. A request was made to allow children use of high school grounds during vacation times. Apparently traffic lights were off after 11:00 PM and Rev. Irvine wanted some other arrangement made for the intersection of Academy and Delaware. Some users of sewer had not paid the sewer tax and collection efforts would be instituted. J. P. Wright protested the $89,000 assessment on 47 Kent Way but, the letter was filed with no action. Council would borrow $35,000 at 3 Â½% and pay off bonds carrying 4 Â½% rate. A new schedule for B&O trains through Newark was announced by the company. Water plant engineer Sakers wanted some regular time off. When funds became available curbs, gutters, and sewer would be extended on Continental Avenue. A requested traffic light at Ray and Rose Streets was OK'd. Weeds were unsightly fronting the Wilson Estate, Wollaston, and American Legion properties. Fire Chief Ellison requested 2 new fire hydrants, one on West Delaware Ave. and one at East Delaware and South Chapel. Fraim's Dairy milk fell below minimum butterfat. With the advent of electric trains, Council thought the Penna. RR crossing was not sufficiently protected, asking for a louder bell or siren and blinker lights. U/D offered cinders for use on town streets as needed.
Published: July 28, 2017
October-December 1935-If sufficient funds were available, a storm sewer would be installed on Lovett Avenue. It was resolved that town assessor would follow county property assessments. Councilman Johnson complained that officers were â€œloafing in stores, etc.â€ Mayor Collins volunteered to speak to them about it. Leon Ryan's request for town water service to six new houses on Nottingham Road just beyond town limits (valued about $8000 each) that he planned to build was refused, since water supply was limited. Five new blankets were needed for town jail. A small stone house at the disposal plant was rehabbed as a â€œrefugeâ€ for Huey Morris the operator with perhaps a little stove added. Council suggested cleaning the business district of Main Street early before traffic buildup, but was reminded that by starting early, workers had the privilege of stopping early. Ditch water from Rose Street was running onto Cleveland. Charles Wilson offered to donate part of the labor to lay piping, if Council would furnish pipe and rest of labor. Water from the cannery was running onto South College and Council ordered work to relieve the problem, at cost of $55.00. Flower Hospital was an important town institution so the Mayor announced â€œDonation Day for the Flower Hospitalâ€ to encourage private donations aiding the hospital. Council gave $50.00. A request went to State Highway Dept. asking that the planned bridge over the Penna. RR tracks on South College be of â€œopen re-enforce concrete constructionâ€.
Published: August 4, 2017
January-March 1936-Treasury balance January 1 was $7323. Thomas Boines was refused permission to install gasoline tanks on his Elkton Road property. Farmer's Trust offered to loan at 3Â½% enough money to pay outstanding bond debt. Only 36% of water meters currently installed were in good working order. Six hundred new water meters were needed to have all residential water service metered. Complaints were received about the unfairness of some residences being metered and others not. Huey Morris, operator of the sewer plant, got an increase of $35.00/month and $10.00 for using his own car since he had successfully completed his training period. Council donated $100 to the Local Relief Organization for the month to help families in need since there were no jobs available. The same sum was given to the Visiting Nurses. The Stamp-Metal Co. owner appeared before Council to show the â€œcoffee containerâ€ he hoped to produce at a new factory in Newark. Officer Hill's car was damaged while he was using it officially, so $6.50 was paid for repairs. State Sanitary Commission offered a program to build sanitary privies where no sewer was available, property owner to pay for material, work done by WPA at no cost to property owner. However the local project fell through. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was a project formulated by President Roosevelt to make jobs during the Great Depression when factories, etc. closed down and millions of men were out of work
Published: August 11, 2017
April-June 1936-Complaints were received about speeding near the school. Council took no action. After the election Council consisted of George Ferguson, Emerson Johnson, C. Huber, John Richards, Herman Wollaston, George Ramsey and Mayor Frank Collins. Plumbers in town were asking for required plumbing inspections. Red Men organization was told to select a site before applying for a carnival permit. The Lions Club wanted more modern street lighting on Main Street, but the request was tabled. A new state law allowed baseball after 2:00 P.M. on Sundays. The purchase of a long carriage Royal typewriter for $95.00 was OK'd for town office. New â€œStopâ€ sign installed at Cleveland Avenue and Wilbur Street at the request of Robert Davis, who owned a store at that corner. New water and sewer lines were installed on Haines Street and a storm sewer on Old Oak Road. Continental-Diamond Fibre was granted permission to use town dump provided no abrasives were included. Traffic signal at Main and Chapel was equalized for both streets. Bids were asked for a new 1Â½ ton truck. Carl Reese was ordered to level the dirt piled on his Orchard Road lot. A donation of $25.00 was made to Newark Baseball Club. Merchants were asked to have their employees park somewhere other than Main Street. All contact with town employees should be handled by the Mayor instead of individual councilmen. Council purchased several articles of uniform clothing for town officers. Purchase of a $10.00 wreath for Memorial Day services was approved
Published: September 1, 2017
June-August 1936-Council agreed to pay half the expense of installing septic tanks on Annabelle Street where sanitary sewer was not available. Purchase of a level was okayed for city engineer. A half-ton city truck was needed. Several appeals were made to have property assessments lowered, but only Meyer Pilnics assessment was reduced. Treasury balance June 30th was $15,234.46. Small flags for Memorial Day cost $9.00. Farmer Hearn was warned that for 3 months his milk distributed in town had shown a too-high bacterial count. Chief Cunningham was appointed to the Board of Health at Dr. Downess suggestion. Main Street was among streets needing work and a strip 24 wide was to be re-surfaced from Academy to western edge of town. Ray Jacobs would continue to supply bulbs for street lamps. Council objected to Highway Department plans for the railroad bridge on South College as they appeared to require a curve in the present street. Council considered seeking an injunction to stop construction until the alignment was corrected. Updated city bookkeeping procedures were needed. Instead of sending bills for capitation taxes Council decided to advertise a reminder that taxes were to due and payable at city office. Herman Wollaston wanted underground electric service to his apartment house on Orchard Road. South Academy Street was impassable in bad weather and residents wanted curbs, gutters, better storm sewers and cinders put down. There were 21 arrests made in July by police and $155 in fines collected.
Published: September 8, 2017
August-September 1936 - Agent Katherine Williams recommended fire and casualty insurance on city vehicles, but no action was taken. Complaints from residents of North Chapel Street complained of odors from sewer treatment plant, but Council considered the complaint unfounded so refused to do anything. Herman Wollaston said he would pay the difference in cost between overhead and underground electrical service to his apartment house to get underground service. Walter Powell offered to pay his total water and electrical bills if Council would adjust the excess charges on water. Council refused to accept his proposal. City Attorney Cann advised that Newark probably had no standing to ask the State Highway Dept. to realign the South College Avenue bridge over the railroad. Julian T. Jones Co. won bid at $5321 for curb and gutters on Haines and Academy Streets and Old Oak Road. The American Legion and Lions Club recommended a pedestrian viaduct under the B&O Railroad in the vicinity of Center Street and Cleveland Avenue. Council received and filed the recommendation. Purchase of 300-500 water meters was being researched. An extended sewer line and a 1Â½â€ water line would be installed on Orchard Road. State Board of Health urged sanitary privies be installed unless property abutted the sewer in which case connection should be required. Board said welfare labor to build privies could be used with only expense being materials. Council said there were no welfare clients in town.
Published: October 6, 2017
September-November 1936 - A Rt. 273 directional sign at Elkton Road and Main Street was requested from State Highway Department. No Parking signs were ordered near construction of railroad bridge on South College, police to check regularly for conformance. Nearby residents protested building of a store at South College & Kells Avenues but, a building permit was issued. Cost of water meters was $7.48 for order of 300 or more. American Legion again asked consideration of a pedestrian walkway under B&O Railroad. Town parking ordinance amendment from three hour limit to one hour was considered but 22 local businessmen objected. Sewer installation assessment for Haines Street was $1.00/linear foot. Proliferation of dial phones meant a system change for police calls. Mayor Collins was still trying to get a State police officer assigned to Newark. Charles Rutledge of the Newark Post received permission to print a series of articles on town ordinances. Council endorsed William Wilsons suggestion for a uniform tree-planting plan for streets and would investigate.
December 1936-A community ambulance proposal was considered. Aetna HH & L would house the ambulance and furnish drivers if Council underwrote expenses. A special fund under control of Council would be set up to receive donations and make payments. Council made an opening donation of $250 to the fund. Joseph Brannan was paid $100 for extra garbage collections made during the summer. In a compromise, the Main Street parking limit was set at two hours.
Published: October 13, 2017
December 1936 - Sara Slack said she suffered a broken ankle due to unsafe surface on Elkton Road and she wanted the town to pay medical expenses. Town Engineer was to investigate as to whether the town was negligent. An appropriation of $500 was set aside to pay relief clients for town work during the winter. A community Christmas tree was authorized. Town lights normally turned off at 11:00 PM would stay on until 1:00 AM during the holidays.
January-February 1937. January balance in the treasury was $9805.10. John Johnston said due to error on town surveyors part he built a house three feet onto property of Helen Wollaston. He suggested he and the town together purchase Miss Wollastons property, approximate cost $630. Council took his suggestion under advisement. Parking ordinance change passed last month was rescinded for further study. Electric and water bonds due February 1, 1937 were called for redemption. Council authorized a reduction of $50 on Flower Hospitals utility bills owed the town. It was agreed to pay Sara Slacks medical bills caused by broken ankle on Elkton Road provided she sign a release toward any further liability. Property owners McKelvey, Neave and Wilson were notified to repair their sidewalks. Blue Hens Farms was notified their milk had too high a bacterial count. Raymond Stone wanted the ditch in back of his property piped and covered so he could access his garage. Council agreed to do so.
Published: October 27, 2017
February-April 1937 - Allan Cooch and Pauline Ewing were appointed to audit town books. Council accepted Farm Bureaus bid to insure towns three trucks for liability and property damage at $11.75/truck payable semi-annually. A gasoline-driven pump was purchased for water department. Councilman Ferguson suggested that a time and date notice be put in newspaper when city electric service was going to be interrupted. Council borrowed $30,000 at 3½% to pay off 4½% utility bonds due February 1. Minnehaha Tribe of Red Men got permission to hold a carnival in June, providing they arrange for police protection and collection of trash. Hollingsworth and Newark Lumber Companies each submitted bids of $24.00 for materials to build new sanitary privies. Action deferred while Council investigated type of construction. Visiting Nurses Assoc. got a donation of $100. A storm sewer from Delaware Avenue/Haines Street south for 1700 feet was authorized. Some jobs for ditch digging would go to able-bodied welfare clients. The Misses Wilson installed a sanitary on Old Oak Road in order to open their property to development, but felt the Short and Dawson properties were benefiting and should now share the cost. They were told to present a formal statement of claim. Electric bills were due monthly; any customer more than a month overdue had ten days to pay up or be disconnected. In case labor disturbances in Wilmington spilled over into Newark, police chief was authorized to augment force.
Published: November 3, 2017
April-June 1937 - Idea for a pedestrian walkway under the B&O RR was dropped. New Century Club offered to help plan planting of street trees. Earl Helmbreck was warned to control dogs barking and running after pedestrians. Large consumers of water would be billed monthly. Seven police uniform shirts and one cap were purchased. A galvanized iron pipe would be installed along Darlington Lane behind Presbyterian Church. A storm sewer was needed to intercept water from East Delaware Ave and part of Main Street to alleviate flooding on South Chapel. Bids were sought for construction of storm sewer on South Haines. A difference of opinion arose between businessmen on Main Street regarding parking limitations. Apparently state auto inspections taking place on Orchard Road caused too much congestion, so inspections were moved to South Academy between Lovett and East Park. Council agreed to visit the Elks Club Tri-State Convention and to issue a parade permit for the convention. Leon Ryan requested the water main on Nottingham Road be extended so he could open adjacent property to development. Local banks offered to loan money at 3½% to pay off all outstanding water and electric bonds. Dean George Schuster of U/D requested extension of town 6â€ water line to serve university farm, with farm paying all costs, including taking line under PRR tracks. This would also provide fire protection. Neighbors of Phillips Packing on Ritter Lane complained of dust from plant driveway.
Published: November 24, 2017
June-September 1937 - Council agreed to a request by police officers for alternate Sundays off instead of a weekday. The tax rate for all property abutting unpaved portion of East Park set at $6/foot. President of Council Frank Collins asked that assessment on his Dallam Road property be raised from $500 to $1000. John Johnston's request for reduction of assessment on his rental properties was denied. Tax rate was set at 40 cents/$100.00 valuation. A larger water main on Wilbur Street between Prospect and Cleveland Avenues was authorized. Ira Shellender was reimbursed $2.95 for ambulance supplies. A public fund drive for the ambulance service raised $1358.78. Aetna HH & L wanted all correspondence addressed to the Company rather than individual members. Resurfacing of Main Street from Pomeroy RR east to end of present hard surface was needed. Rittenhouse and Dennison Motor Companies were told to stop storing company cars on public streets. Council had no legal right to withhold building permits for gas stations on Main Street. The quality of Blue Hen Farms' milk was improved. U/D wanted to be reimbursed for water and electricity charges since their swimming pool was open to public during summer. Action was deferred. For health reasons Mr. Shew would no longer be able to continue his work with the Light and Water Department. A new truck was badly needed as expensive repairs were imminent on the present Ford. Bids would be sought.
Published: December 1, 2017
October-December 1937 – Minimum water allowance per quarter was raised by 150 c.f. New uniforms for patrolmen were $29.75 and for chief $35.75. Delaware Safety Council invited town councilmen to annual banquet at Hotel DuPont, cost $2.25 per person. No action taken. Annual public appeal to support the Flower Hospital was nearing. Council would not provide drainage for surface water from Jane Smith’s property on South College, that being property owners responsibility. Extension of water and sewer lines to Frank Palmer’s property east of town limits was refused as being too costly at this time. Wollaston Avenue residents wanted the street paved before they were required to put in sidewalks, since the street was impassable in bad weather. Council agreed to help install Christmas decorations on Main Street but would only furnish electricity at cost, not free, as Chamber of Commerce wanted. The CC was asked to supply one man to aid town employees in the installation. National Vulcanized Fibre wanted a storm sewer on Race Street and Council agreed to pay half the cost. At the request of American Legion, Council agreed to register all WWI veterans’ discharges, making them available in future if originals were lost. U/D was advised that all tax-exempt properties had to comply with City Charter and construct sidewalks. To better regulate traffic, a center yellow line would be painted full length of Main Street. A water line on Briar Lane would feed off Nottingham Road line.
Published: December 15, 2017
December 1937 – Samuel Tibbitt was appointed as town assistant electrician at $90/month; Jacob Shew was retired as electrician and appointed meter repair man and janitor at $80/month. Council signed a new five-year contract with Delaware Power & Light to furnish electricity to Newark. Ten minute parking in front of post office was instituted. Town offices would close at noon on Christmas Eve. January-April 1938 – Treasury balance January 1 was $46,102.63. The Police Department made 157 arrests in 1937. Grading, curbing and guttering on East Park and tree removal on Dallam Road were designated “relief” projects, i.e. jobs for out-of-work residents. Unsightly underbrush on Harry Maxwell’s property on Academy Street needed clearing. The Chamber of Commerce wanted a parking lot built in town. Residents’ excess water bills due to faulty plumbing would not be adjusted. The United States Employment Service thanked Council for use of office space. Water consumption was down 7.9% from a year ago. New equipment for Newark’s power substation would cost $329.62. Police officers were not receiving cooperation from the public in following one-hour parking limit on Main Street. Town office would close between noon and 1:00 PM. George Leak and Mr. Dameron property owners on E. Main wanted sidewalks on Capitol Trail for safety reasons. Council would contact State Highway Department. Council agreed to co-sponsor an Educational and Recreational center for the Negro citizens of Newark. Mary Conoly was denied permission to pay her annual water bill in advance, rather than quarterly.