Return
Return

Original Painting by Larry Anderson

OUT OF THE PAST
Published 2016

Most of Newark is not included in Pencader Hundred, but that doesn’t mean we ignore the city. There is a wealth of material concerning Newark’s history and some of it is contained in the extant minutes of town council. These excerpts of public record minutes, beginning in April 1866, are being transcribed from the original handwriting and will appear regularly here as well as in the Newark Post. To see copies in the original handwriting and a full transcription please visit Pencader Museum.

Various philosophers have said “if you don’t know where you came from, you can’t know where you’re going.” In order that Newark knows where it came from the Post will be publishing Out of Our Past, as a companion to Out of the Attic. Content of Out of Our Past will be excerpts from the earliest city government records. These handwritten records frequently have questionable spelling and no punctuation. That’s fun to see, but for easier reading this deficiency has been rectified in the transcription by Barbara White. For our readers’ enjoyment this account from the past will be published every week and is being made available through the generosity of Pencader Heritage Museum.

Current Articles

Published: Jan. 1, 2016
June-September 1917 - Improvement of Delaware Avenue from Academy to Depot Road with the “penetrating process” was approved. Continental Fibre requested a reduction in property assessment from $35,000 to $7500, which was denied. Jack Johnson wanted his speeding fine remitted, but no action taken by Council. Driving an automobile was a new experience to most of the population, so rules in plain language were necessary. Among vehicle ordinances passed: All vehicles shall keep as near the right hand curb as practicable, except when passing another. The committee handling sewer constructing was adamant that orders for equipment needed for a new pumping station on South Chapel be placed at once. They hoped to pay for it with money collected on the extension just completed elsewhere. However, Council tabled the plea. St. John’s Church complained that Robert Allen was keeping his store open on Sunday and causing a nuisance from the noise therein. Council ordered him to maintain peace on the premises. Policeman Apsley was granted four days of vacation. A Citizens’ Committee was appointed to organize a send-off for Newark’s Company E of the National Guard. George Griffin was given permission to move a frame building down Depot Road to Amstel Avenue, providing he guaranteed no damage to road. At request of residents of New London Avenue an ordinance prohibited children under age 14 from being on streets after 9:30 PM. The policeman would signal time by four taps on the school bell.

Published: Jan. 8, 2016
August-December 1917 – An appropriation of $100.00 was made to provide “some appropriate gift to the soldier boys” of Company E. as they left for military service. Jacob Thomas objected to the $35,000 assessment on his mill, which was rejected because the appeal came too late. Fees for licensing dogs brought in $115.00. Delaware College had laid a flagstone sidewalk in front of dormitory on Main Street, but was told to replace with concrete per town ordinance. Council accepted the Wilmington and Philadelphia Traction Company’s invitation to a private showing of their store in Newark. Farmer’s Trust loaned Council $1000.00 for ninety days. Alderman Lovett collected $112.00 in fines and fees in October. The late Harlow Curtis (killed in WW I) had donated in his will a fountain for “man, horses and dogs.” The Curtis Family asked to place the fountain on the sidewalk in front of “The Lindens” on the north side of Main Street. Council approved the request.
 
January-March 1918 – Jacob Thomas again complained of his assessment, but Council tabled his letter. Cash removed from general fund to: street light account $1750.00; to water account for fire protection $900.00. An amendment to the Anti-Pig ordinance said owners could appeal to the Board of Health for an exemption and license. Additional water storage was becoming an issue needing attention. The sewer building committee reported cash received $8700.00; cash expended $5420.00; on hand $3280.01. Town books were audited, showing balance of $865.74.

Published: Jan. 15, 2016
April-October 1918 – The “colored” policeman was released from duty. After election Board members were: E. Wilson, Wm. Barton, Jonathan. Johnson, Eben Frazer, Daniel Thompson, T. Willis, and Robert Morrison. Board of Health was comprised of Prof. Penny, Dr. Blake, L. Curtain, Robert Jones, and Orlando Strahorn. Some citizens still weren’t getting the message they had to connect to the sewer: Esther Phoebus, S. Rose owner of six houses on Cleveland Avenue, and Newark Trust agent for 24 Choate Street. Water demand was growing and another 8” well was ordered sunk immediately at the pumping station. Interest of $843.75 on water and sewer bonds was paid. Delaware College was to pave in front of the property occupied by Dr. Mitchell on Depot Road. Tax assessments on the Deer Park and Washington House were reduced from $15,000.00 to $12,000.00 each at request of James McKelvey. F. Lutton and the Curtis Estate were told to lay pavement at their Choate Street properties. Out-of-state examiners said the sewer system was in bad shape and needed immediate attention. It was unlawful to repair any automobile or motorcycle on the streets of Newark, except as needed to get to a garage. Fines ranged from $5.00 to $20.00. A town-owned phone to be installed at Policeman Foster’s home, Main and South Chapel. Flashlights, one each for policeman and meter reader, were purchased. Two hundred dog tags ordered. Continental-Diamond Fibre Company was to get an outside water meter installed.

Published: Jan. 22, 2016
November-December 1918 - Town attorney Evans declined to take on collection of back taxes. Robert Richards was hired to do so. Council would provide $100.00 worth of supplies to care for the sick, apparently related to the flu epidemic of 1918. The too-shallow gutters at West Main and B&O necessitated the town raising the curbs. Property owners would have to re-install pavement. Daniel Baker replaced Policeman Foster at $135.00 per month, but only lasted two months before being replaced by M. Apsley. Council would provide up to 400 feet of wire free to connect properties to electric service. The sick in town were being cared for in Harter Hall.
 
January-April 1919 – Two United States prisoners were held in town lock-up at a cost of $11.00 in board. The New Century Club wanted slaughter houses banned in town, but Council said they couldn’t be closed unless declared a nuisance by Board of Health. Victor Willis wanted to build an addition to his house on Main Street; Council turned the request over to town attorney Evans. Economic Ice House required additional electrical service, the request being turned over to Light and Water Committee. Among increased property assessments were; Cecil Ferguson 8 houses, Howard Ferguson 10 houses, Joseph Ferro, Louis Handloff store and house, Dr. Harter, Robert Jones warehouse, Fader Motor garage, Prof. Penny; Councilman Frazer. The sewer at Fader’s Garage was blocked. Louis Curtis resigned from Board of Health, replaced by Dr. Herbert Watson.

Published: Jan. 29, 2016
June-September 1919 – Continental-Diamond Fibre was refused a reduction in tax assessment. Two year’s back taxes (700.00) were due and sent for collection with possible sheriff’s sale of personal property. Street upgrades needed were Delaware and Elkton Avenues, South Chapel and New London with Delaware and South Chapel scheduled first. Rate of electricity used for heating and cooking was eight cents per KW for first 50 KW consumed. Delinquent taxes collected amounted to $250.00. Edwin Cloud was hired to look after the sewer pumps on South Chapel, New London Road and at the disposal plant. Council refused to extend guttering to divert water flowing onto Continental-Diamond’s property because it was below town limits. Bill from McNeal for hauling bricks was considered too high, so it was returned. Needed re-caulking of water main joints was ordered, with limit of $8.50 per joint authorized. F. Lovett’s men were to dig up mains and Daniel Stoll to repair them.
 
October-December 1919 – Balance of funds on hand October 6 was $3325. L. Hill and C. Hubert were appointed special officers for duty at Opera House and New Century Club. Parts of Delaware Avenue were widened from Depot Road to Elkton Avenue. Levy Court paid Newark $360.00 for use of its steam roller. Electric rate to run the ice plant was 4¢ per KWH. Request was made for extension of 2 inch water pipe near Red Men’s Home to reach Manns, Palmer and Ritz

Published: Feb. 5, 2016
January-June 1920 – Citizens could use the Council office phone for cost of call. Repairs to the roof of the Town Building were authorized. Newark needed to increase its water supply and storage facilities. To do so meant petitioning the State legislature for permission to borrow $75,000, as the current limit on borrowing was $10,000. At the same time Council asked the legislature to amend Newark’s charter removing the $10,000 limit on borrowing and make it unlimited. A bid to improve the water system came in at $72,000. F. Lovett was given the contract, at $3500 for improving South Chapel Street and Delaware Avenue west of Depot Road. After 1920’s election Council consisted Messrs. Frazer, Johnson, Wilson, Colmery, Widdoes, Morrison and Rhodes. Council didn’t object to a sparkler plant on the ice plant grounds. The ever-vigilant Board of Health reported several more houses not connected to sewer and ordered to do so within 30 days or pay fine. A referendum was held asking property owner to vote on allowing the town to borrow $75,000. Each owner got one vote for every dollar, or fraction thereof, paid in property taxes. For borrowing, 1377 votes, none against. Delinquent taxes collected amounted to $220.00, sale of electricity (referred as sale of light) brought in $1934. A petition to improve Delaware Avenue from Academy to South Chapel was tabled due to current lack of funds, with a promise to extend “best effort” next year.

Published: Feb. 12, 2016
July-December 1920 – No quorum showed up for regular July meeting, so it was postponed until the next evening. Water system improvements were underway. A contract was awarded for 10” pipe at $76.49 per ton; 10” valves at $66.75 and 12” valves at $82.75 each. Rights of way through private property had to be negotiated. Dravo-Doyle Company won bid for 2 pumps, motors, and associated machinery needed at the pumping station at $9,200. Trenching, pipe-laying and standpipe preparation work was bid out at $18,680. Well-drilling contract went to Artesian Well Drilling Company at $9.00 per foot, screening extra. Funds for water system improvements were raised by sale of $35,000 in bonds. Minimum user fee was $15.00 per year with 8000 gallon maximum, 25% premium if outside town limits. Policeman George Messick was relieved of his duties and ordered to turn in the town-owned bicycle and other equipment. As well as water improvements, street work was needed. F. Lovett was contracted to improve full length of Elkton Avenue at $11,210 (material not specified in minutes.) Drainage on north end of Choate Street needed correcting. Street improvement and drainage of New Street were under consideration. Policeman Thompson was to notify owners if barking by their dogs created a nuisance. Wilbur Street neighbors of American Machine Company complained of gasoline engines running without mufflers. Two extra policemen were hired for holidays, town to pay one, citizens the other. Council purchased a motorcycle for police use.

Published: Feb. 19, 2016
January-June 1921 – Continental-Diamond Fibre Company still refused to pay 1919 and 1920 taxes so the matter was placed with Council attorney for collection, resulting in $625.00 to town coffers. Jacob Shew, Superintendent of the water works, had his salary increased to $120.00 per month, but he must give up outside jobs and devote all his time to Newark. George Rhodes moved out of district and Cliff Willis was appointed to complete his term on Council. A proposal to bring a gas plant to Newark was turned down as Council didn’t want streets torn up for laying gas lines. Laying gravel in the lane to the pumping station cost $75.00. For the first time a woman, Laura Hossinger, was appointed as Council Secretary-Treasurer as well as collector of taxes, water charges, and electric fees at a salary of $100.00 per month. Council rented the front room of Mrs. Armstrong’s house, at $10.00 a month, to use as a business office. Town-paid phones were removed from the homes of S. Herdman and J. Thompson as they were no longer working for the town. Mr. Herdman was given $50.00 reimbursement since his home had been used as town office. Robert Campbell’s lot at the corner of Cleveland and Wilbur was assessed at 200.00. Council gave permission to re-grade Main Street, matching that of Lincoln Highway (previous name of Kirkwood Highway) where it entered town. A number of concrete gutter installations were being planned.

Published: Feb. 26, 2016
June-September 1921 – Delinquencies in water and electric service fees must be paid in ten days or lose service. A “Silent Policeman” was OK’d for Main and Elkton Road, to be white with “Keep to the Right” in red lettering. Mr. Stiltz reported he had to purchase a bus license to run in Wilmington and thought outside bus companies should be compelled to purchase a license to operate in Newark. Council decided to charge a fee of $50.00 each for buses running on set schedules between Newark and Wilmington . Mr. Lewis wanted a sewer connection but asked for a preferential rate. He was informed he must pay same as others. Some citizens tried to renege on water and electric bills saying they paid but no receipt was issued. Council’s opinion was either pay up or show receipt. Estelle Campbell wanted corrective measures taken on the flow of water over her property. Millard Davis Jewelers were paid $12.00 for a stopwatch for the policeman. Newark imported its electricity from Wilmington and complaints were arising that Newark’s current was shut off at Wilmington’s convenience to supply their customers. “No Parking” signs were put on Elkton Road near the B&O Railroad station. Permits to tap into water main must be paid before tap was made. The telephone company complained of $2.00 tax on their poles. Council stood by ordinance to tax. New London Avenue was repaired, sufficient to last a year for $250.00.

Published: Mar. 4, 2016
November-December 1921 – Five signs “School Street, Run Slow” were purchased. Part of November’s expenses was for hiring a horse and cart at $50.00. Fines were raised to $10.00 - $25.00 upon conviction before town alderman of any motor vehicle violations. Failure to pay would result in ten days in jail. Town’s representative on Levy Court was asked to expedite road repair from Lumbrook to Roseville. Council granted the request from ladies of town asking better lighting for community Christmas tree. Two filing cabinets were purchased for $55.00 and the town motorcycle was sold. A phone was installed at home of police officer Fryeus at town expense.
 
January-March 1922 – Due to typhoid cases in town, Board of Health requested that all milk sold in town be pasteurized. Twenty-five dollars were donated toward care of typhoid patients. Sixty-five people attended a public meeting concerning milk pasteurization. All but six of those attending the meeting voted for pasteurization. It was reported 80% of milk sold in Wilmington was pasteurized. Council briefly considered building a milk plant in town and Dr. Hullihen volunteered university experts to supervise the plant. Clover Dairy offered to supply pasteurized milk and would buy out any other dealers’ routes. Dr. Steele said pasteurized milk was lacking in vitamins and was not fair to force its use on all. The Republican Club wanted to erect a building on Rose Street and was told to submit plans.

Published: Mar. 11, 2016
March-May 1922 – An ordinance regulating the building line on full length of Main Street was given first reading. A nurse hired to care for two typhoid patients on New London Avenue was paid $15.00 per week for four weeks. Demand notes worth $6000 were paid off. Council and Trustees of the Poor would go 50-50 on payment to the nurse who cared for typhoid patients on New London Avenue. Cleveland Avenue would get badly needed repairs as soon as money was available. This would negate the need for a drain through Mrs. Willis’s property for which she had requested an increase in the right-of-way payment from $8.00 to $16.00 a year. Cars taking on gas were not considered parked, so they did not have to conform to traffic direction during the fill-up, thus drivers would not be ticketed. A parked vehicle had to be on the right. Wilmington Traction Company refused to sell electricity to Newark for less than Wilmington users were paying. Council voted to seek a five-year contract, with cost to be based on price of coal. A request by Board of Trade’s Dollar Day Committee for permission to put advertising signs on poles at intersections was refused because it would set a precedent. Dumping of salt water in streets or gutters was to be banned by ordinance. Home Drug Store, Pappa’s Ice Cream Shop and Western Union all had non-conforming signs and had to remove or change them.

Published: Mar. 18, 2016
April-August 1922 – Clay was dropping off carts hauling it from the pits to B&O Railroad on Elkton Road. A letter was sent to the haulers asking an immediate remedy to the nuisance. Renting out the town’s steam roller netted $400 in 1921, but the cost of repairs made it not worthwhile. A motorcycle was purchased for 100.00. After election of 1922, Council was composed of Messrs. Beals, Frazer, Wilson, Colmery, Widdoes, Morrison and Patchell. Rodman Lovett and A. Fisher were named Building and Plumbing Inspectors, respectively. With a milk safety ordinance in place there was need for a Milk Inspector. At least 3% butter fat content of milk was required. A permit to sell milk in town was $10.00. Three complaints were received about property conditions. Alfred Johnson was dumping refuse in a ditch on his property, Dolly Boyles and Penrose Wilson properties were unhealthy. The Board of Health was to order the nuisances cleaned up. Daylight Saving Time was adopted. A fence was needed around the water tank. Those behind in payment of electric, water and sewer assessment bills would be hearing from town attorney. Purchase of trousers for the town policeman was Okayed. Bids for “Macadam with penetration system” to surface Cleveland Avenue’s full length were sought. Property assessments were raised significantly for Buckingham house and store, Curtis house and warehouses, 2 Handloff parcels, Casho, McNeal Lumber Yard, Oriental Lodge, Willis, Wright, with Tillie Thomas’s omitted house added.

Published: Mar. 25, 2016
April-June 1922 – New Century Club ladies were pleading for improvements to Delaware Avenue, Council promising to do what they could before winter. Tenants were moving, leaving overdue electric bills so Council said landlords would be responsible for unpaid charges, unless they notified Council of proposed moves of tenants. Council accepted Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity’s invitation to laying of cornerstone on their new Chapter House during commencement week. St. Thomas Church received permission to rope off the west end of Delaware Avenue one evening for a street carnival. George Ferguson wanted improvements to drainage near his property on Cleveland Avenue. Fifty new water meters were purchased. F. Lovett won the bid to rebuild Cleveland Avenue at $11,018. His bid was lowest of two by $665.00.
 
July-1922 – Councilman Morrison died, flowers sent to funeral and Council members would attend. Metropolitan Shows paid $30.00 fee to perform in town. Eight milk sales permits issued. A water meter was installed at “the colored school.” A Mr. Wismer from Hatboro, PA wrote saying he had a fifty-cent note issued by Newark in 1862 and wondering if could be redeemed. Council said they would pay upon presentation of same. A ten-inch drain pipe was laid across Prospect Avenue. Property owners on Cleveland Avenue were informed they must start work on all sewer and water connections to the curb within 10 days as Council would not allow the street to be torn up for ten years after rebuilding.

Published: April 1, 2016
August-September 1922 – Council decided a vicious dog owned by Mr. Kendall of Delaware Avenue had to be killed. Walter Powell was ordered to replace his pavement as it did not meet engineering guidelines. His $10.00 fine was remitted. The steam roller was sold for $800.00. Boys on South Chapel had become a public nuisance, throwing rocks, etc. John Mote was appointed the area’s special officer, without pay. Gutters on Main Street near the railroad were causing problems. All electric meters were to be placed in cellars or on first floor of buildings. Plumbers were to notify town officials before making final connections to water system. Mr. Lovett was warned that if he didn’t start and finish Cleveland Avenue rebuild before October 31, the contract would be cancelled. Cooperation with telephone company to reduce number of poles was underway. Chamber of Commerce had concerns: cars parked without lights and too far from curb, trucks blocking traffic while unloading, no lines at pedestrian crossings, numbers on houses, and the B & O RR crossing gateman. Edward Richards was appointed to fill unexpired term of late Mr. Morrison. Cinders for use on streets during the winter were ordered. Leslie Ford bought Reese Jarmon’s milk sales route and needed a new permit. A dump forming behind Cleveland Avenue was deemed public nuisance and “No dumping under penalty” signs were ordered erected. Dr. Young’s dogs were barking at night and he was ordered to abate the nuisance.

Published: April 8, 2016
October-December 1922 – Negotiations underway with Newark Academy about widening Academy Street to 34 feet. Kraft Dairy milk was below standard and Clarence Beadenkopf was selling milk in tin cans. Both were brought before Justice Thompson and fined $11.00. Council continued serious efforts to ensure only safe milk was sold in town. The Milk Inspector was paid $10.00 per month. Louis Braxton was seeking damages due to falling from a wagon which hit a hole at the corner of Ray Street and Creek Road. The matter was tabled as was an invitation to attend the National Municipal League 3-day meeting in Philadelphia. An Ordinance would allow for setting an iron-framed glass disk in sidewalks, allowing light into basements. Mr. Barnard was willing to donate land for widening North Chapel Street, extended. Tar, heating pots and a tamper were purchased to use in keeping streets repaired. Three army blankets were purchased for the lock-up.
 
January-March 1923 – Lack of quorum meant no Council meeting in January. Both Fibre Companies in town got rebates on water bills. Ten-foot building set-back from all sidewalks was made official. Water consumption was averaging 3 million gallons a month more than previous year, so planning to expand supply was urgent. Income for February included $200.00 from Levy Court for lights on Depot Road and $11.00 for selling policeman’s old suit. A new police outfit cost $82.00. Leon Ellison earned $1.00 for shooting a mad dog

Published: April 15, 2016
February-May 1923 – Choate Street residents wanted street repairs. A $5000.00 note at Farmers Trust was paid off. Specifications for re-surfacing New London Avenue and E. Delaware Avenue were ordered. One more street light near the Pennsylvania RR station was OKd providing Levy Court would pay for electricity at $1.50/month. Aetna Fire Company was given $1000.00 appropriation for 1921-1922. Bid of $11,018 was accepted for a “new street on Cleveland Avenue”, but the entry is unclear as to extending or rebuilding. Sol Wilson was paid $1.00 for “fixing policeman’s coat.” Community Christmas Tree fund was short $12.30, so Council covered it. New fire siren cost $615.00 with 5% discount when paid on delivery. After April election, Councilmen were Widdoes, Patchell, Frazer, Grier, Beals, Wilson and Colmery. Mr. Beals announced he was in favor of a capitation tax on very citizen of voting age. Mr. Shew the only electrician on town payroll, was kept busy repairing meters, running service wires, etc. A new man was needed to read light and water meters. Feeding a man in lock-up cost $4.60, length of time unspecified. Western Union was being encouraged to keep their office in Newark. A lawn mower was needed for the grounds at the electric light plant. Citizens petitioned to extend Academy Street through to Cleveland Avenue. No money was currently available, but feasibility interviews would be conducted with affected property owners, Dr. Dunlevy and J. Wilson.

Published: April 22, 2016
May-July 1923 – Fred Gebrold complained James Cage was depositing rubbish behind his property. If Mr. Cage didn’t desist he would be brought before the Alderman. The Board of Health was instructed to confront Joseph Ferro for not connecting to the sewer on Cleveland Avenue. Assessment items: Walter Powell’s two-story garage was increased to $500; house of U/D President added to list at $10,000; J. Willis residence raised $500; George Wood residence raised $300; Pomeroy RR warehouse lowered to $4000; eighteen names left off assessment list were added. No regular Council meeting in June, lack of quorum. At special meeting Clifford Willis won bid ($980) to remodel lower floor of old fire house into office for secretary with heating method still under discussion. Allen Reed, Joseph Maisno and Edwin Lewis of Kershaw Street were ordered to connect to sewer within 30 days or face fines. Telephone Company wanted town electrical wires placed on top of poles. U/D wanted to exchange empty lots with Council but was refused as those offered were not acceptable. An Ordinance was being written controlling the handling of gasoline within town. Fourteen dogs bitten by a rabid dog were killed, but Mrs. Collison refused to give up her pet although she admitted her dog had been bitten. An emergency resolution subjected her to fines of $25.00/day for each day’s delay in destroying the dog. Delayed sewer and water connections were interfering with road construction on Cleveland Avenue.

Published: April 29, 2016
August-October 1923 – Any water or sewer connections on Delaware Avenue must be completed by August 20 before street work was to commence. The Methodist Church thanked Council for “No Parking” signs in front of church. Posters, etc. illegally placed on poles would be taken down by police. Clarification of Delaware auto speed laws in relation to town laws was needed. Kandy Kitchen and Blackson’s Ice Cream Parlor were ordered to close at midnight seven days a week. Chocolate milk was being sold in town without a license. Mayor Frazer was given permission to purchase furniture as needed for new Council office. Total cost was $453.00. First meeting in the new office was September 4. Cost of recalibrating electric meters at U/D was $48.24. Meals for man in jail came from Washington House at $3.00. Messrs. Wilson and Miss Maria Pennington were told to install sidewalks at property on New London. Mrs. Pemberton was told to connect her property on New London to water, as well on site was tainted. Residents of W. Delaware Avenue were refused permission to block that end of street one Friday night for a dance. No action taken on F. Lovett’s proposal to extend Academy to town limit. Ordinance concerning keeping pigs in town needed enforcing. Railroads through town were reminded their crossings must be well maintained. Mr. Ellison was reminded to return the town lawn mower to the light plant. The sewer plant was becoming inadequate, upgrading was imperative.

Published: May 6, 2016
November-December 1923 – Newark Department Store was burning waste behind the store after dark. Mr. Handloff was told to limit burning to daylight hours. Council was still considering the exchange of lots with U/D. The school was overcrowded and district asked for use of room at Town Building while new school was being built. Council hesitated waiting to see if any other space became available. Boy and Girl Scouts also asked to use the room, but Council thought it should not be tied up by any one entity, but kept open for general use. A fee of $2.00 was to be charged for use of room. The Community Christmas Tree was turned over to New Century Club with Council making usual donation. January-March 1924 – Tax on dogs was raised to $1.00 (males), $2.00 (females). Use by school of room in Council office was sanctioned. As a large consumer of electricity and water, Council rescinded the 25% surcharge for out-of-town users. Baldwin Manufacturing Co. was asked to stop throwing waste paper onto street and merchants not to sweep nails from opening crates into street. The Minnehaha Band got permission to use the room in town office Monday nights for practice, excepting the night Council met. US Dept. of Agriculture approached Council about using sewage for fertilizer. George Singles denied permission to install gasoline pumps at his Main Street business. Rittenhouse Motors and VanSant and Sons were told to confine parking to one side of street.

Published: May 13, 2016
April-August 1924 - An appropriation of $300.00 toward a new bandstand was approved. Mr. Harrington, town garbage collector, asked for “more remuneration.” Council turned down a request from Newark Baseball Club for a donation. May meeting postponed, lack of quorum. Curbing was order for E. Main Street to town limits. Tax delinquents have thirty days to pay up. It cost $44.97 to install a new fire hydrant near Potts’s store. Daniel Stoll bid $2450 to extend sewer line to Latta Street. R. McClintock complained of an electrical pole in very poor condition on E. Main Street. Residents of Ray Street asked for an additional street light. A survey would be taken so see how many property owners on Prospect Avenue would put in pavements if town put in curbing. Mr. Barnard offered to do some work on N. Chapel Street for credit toward overdue taxes. No action taken. US Dept. of Agriculture offered a 10 year contract to dispose of sewage if town would pay $2000.00/year. The offer was referred to town solicitor for opinion. Mr. Sakers was refused use of lane leading to water works. C. Rittenhouse wanted $50.00 damages because town officer shot his dog. The request was tabled. Aetna Fire Company reported some merchants were storing too much paper and trash in basements, creating a fire hazard. The question was referred to insurance underwriters. Decision on speed limit signs was left up to Mayor Frazer.

Published: May 20, 2016
September-November 1924 – A petition was presented complaining of too much noise and swearing around the Baldwin Mfg. Co. Council promised to investigate and take action. Milk sold in town was marginally within safety limits, but bacterial count was still too high. Producers would be notified to take more precautions in handling milk. Continental-Diamond Fibre wanted a guarantee of 100,000 to 150,000 gallons of water a day, which was promised unless there was dire need by the community. Illegal connections by residents to the town water supply were causing problems. Those doing so were subject to having water cut-off and to fines of $25.00. Council agreed to provide prizes for the Diamond State Poultry and Pigeon Show. Mr. Fulton was notified that no dumping in the old well would be tolerated. An Ordinance pertaining to control of dogs in town was being formulated. Town employee Mr. Shew was allowed to purchase ten gallons of gasoline per month. Laura Hossinger, town secretary/treasurer, got a salary increase of $25.00/month. Arlington Transfer Company paid $15.00 for damaging the Police Post on Elkton Road, Rittenhouse Motor Company was paid $6.00 to mend it. Mr. Howell sold his town milk route to Herbert Eastburn, in order to sell exclusively to Women’s College. However, it was discovered his cattle and milk were not inspected, therefore the College discontinued buying from him. There being medical doctor on the Board of Health, as required by the State, Dr. Raymond Downes was appointed.

Published: June 3, 2016
December 1924 – Robert Potts complained that work on East Main Street had taken two feet from his property. Work on Choate, New, Wilbur, and Prospect Streets was completed. Mayor Frazer was given permission to borrow funds to pay for it until expected income during the month was received.
 
January-March 1925: Treasury balance January 1st was $2457.00. People moving out of town and leaving unpaid electric bills were a problem causing discussion, but no action, on charging a refundable connection fee. The alderman charged $1.50 for oil and stove to heat the jail. The secretary was instructed to investigate “as to oil stove used.” An Ordinance prohibiting parking nearer than 10’ from fire plugs or 30’ from intersections was being written. The secretary was to check with Middletown as to where they purchased their signs for fire plugs. The fire siren was exchanged for one double in size at a cost of $50.00 plus the old siren. Ten thousand electric bill letterheads cost $20.80 from Press of Kells. Any slaughter houses nearer than one mile from town limits had to be moved within sixty days, by order of Board of Health. There were three affected: Platt & Cohee, C. Major and William Wollaston. Mrs. Thomas on Ray Street was in need because her only support, a daughter, had typhoid fever. The matter was referred to the County Poor Board. Messrs. Haney, Richey, Dean and Gallery, had never paid their sewer assessment and would get bills.

Published: June 10, 2016
March-May 1925 - Any dogs without a license would be shot. Most of the streets in town were scheduled to be resurfaced with Tarvia Bond, ½” stone, and rolled with ten-ton roller at contracted cost of $3875. New Century Club thanked Council for action on having slaughter houses moved out of town. As Maple Street was not in town limits it had no sewer line. Owner of rental houses there had to choose between running a private sewer to join Elkton Road line or delineate street lines so town could extend sewer main. Mr. Mosiman requested permission to lay water pipe on Kells Avenue and was told 4” minimum was required, as that was necessary to give fire protection. Piping from water tank on West Main 800 feet along Nottingham Road was planned, but Levy Court permission and signatures of all contiguous property owners were needed. Garbage meant just that, no foreign matter like glass, etc. or pick-ups would not be made for offender. (In the past town garbage was fed to pigs, so this may still have been the case.) Coincidently the garbage collector’s pay was raised to $60.00 per month. Hucksters didn’t need a town license if they had a state permit. J. Pilling Wright contemplated opening a street between the old Curtis property and that of Dr. Kollock, to connect with New Street. (This was probably what is now Center Street.) The town agreed to install utilities when street was ready

Published: June 24, 2016
January-March 1926 – The new school on Academy Street, building now owned by the U/D, was assessed $627 for sewer service. A petition signed by 162 residents asked that Council request B&O RR place a watchman on the North College crossing. Council decided to ask for the watchman from 8:15 to 4:15 until the close of schools in June. The Alderman took in $2.00 in fines during January. Aetna Fire Company was given $1000, the appropriation for 1924/5. A $6000 note at Farmer’s Trust was paid. Since telephones in town were still rare, the public could use council’s phone, for the cost of the call. February calls brought in thirty cents. George Ferguson was given a variance of building line on Wilbur Street in order to protect storm sewer catch basin. A proposal to build a gas plant in town was presented to Council, which referred it to town attorney for investigation, but it was later withdrawn.
 
April-May 1926. Deer Park Hotel was paid $4.10 for a luncheon. An ordinance allowing the laying of gas distribution mains was under consideration. The town police officer was laid-off. Burglary insurance or a fire-alarm for town hall? That was the question being researched. After 1926 election, Council was composed of Messrs. Frazer, Wilson, Handloff, Grier, Beals, Buckingham, and Widdoes. Mrs. Campbell and Mr. Hutchinson had questions regarding placement of sewer lines on Amstel Avenue. A contract at $11,085 was awarded for Amesiting “Upper” Cleveland Avenue.

Published: July 1, 2016
June-August 1926 – Improvements to South College Avenue were contracted for $12,339. Cost of West Cleveland Avenue improvement was upped $525 to add an extra inch of stone base. Council thought insurance premium on water works was “exorbitant” and was negotiating with insurance company. Pennsylvania RR complained that North Street residents must cease dumping trash on right-of-way of their Pomeroy Line. Traffic violation tickets were put into use for the first time at request of town police officer. Developers along West Main Street, Extended, were charged $75.00 to tap city water line; private residences were charged $18.00. Store owners were reminded that fireworks could not be sold before July 3. No quorum present for Council meeting July 4. Curtis Mill asked Council to extend city water line to their mill, office and eight houses on North Chapel. Reply was, town could not set a precedent for laying water lines to out-of-town concerns; however, town water would be supplied if the company laid the piping. Developers Foote and Willis received permission to tap city water line at Cleveland Avenue and North Chapel. Subject to approval of town attorney, a contract was awarded at $31,000 to rebuild sewage disposal plant. Mr. Sakers was given permission to cut a gate into water works fence to reach his home. Sprinklers for children to enjoy were placed at fire house, Chapel Street and New London Road. Mr. Nardo was granted right-of-way through town property to reach his store.

Published: July 8, 2016
September-December 1926 - The garbage collector, Mr. Harrington, was warned to “give closer attention to the work of collecting garbage.” Mr. Harrington was paid $60.00 per month. Businessman Marritz was asked to keep his signage within the twelve foot property line. Harvey Spence was paid $3.00 for two nights watching at S. J. Wright residence during illness. No other details on the situation were given. Notice was put in newspapers that parked automobiles must have lights on them after dark. Engineering work on South College and Amstel Avenues sewer plans cost $350. Daniel Stoll was paid $975 for installing 450’ of sewer line. Council donated $25 to the Poultry Association for their scheduled January show. A broom and other supplies for office cost $2.28 and typewriter repairs $4.00. Wilmington Gas Company was ready to start laying gas mains in December. Snow must be removed from sidewalks within six hours or property owners faced fines.
 
January-March 1927 – Balance in town treasury January 1 was $1296.57. Extending the town limits was under consideration. All monthly milk reports showed bacteria counts within acceptable limits. Farmer’s Trust was charged $45.00 for having a utility poled placed at their request. William Quillen paid $25.00 for a plumber’s license. It cost $1.50 to have a battery charged at Fader Motor Company. Council was urged to compel all newly wired houses to be inspected by the Underwriters’ Association. Mr. McClintock requested that the town repair their part of Annabelle Street.

Published: July 15, 2016
April-May 1927 – The street sweeper and road scraper were for sale at whatever price they could bring. A request was made to State Legislature for permission to extend town limits to protect town water supply. Council promised any new areas brought in complete fire protection, improved well-lighted streets, and extra police protection. Permission was given by Legislative action and Frank Collins was sent a letter of thanks for his efforts in securing passage of the bill. William Lovett and George Phipps wrote Council protesting that their names did not appear on the ballot in recent town election. Council responded saying Lovett and Phipps were residents in the newly annexed areas and therefore were not legally residents of Newark within the required 10 days filing time before the election. Suggestions by Daniel Hastings regarding street repairs were filed and Council would consider them when new streets were built. Curtis Paper Company was told that as soon as water lines were extended across the creek Council would confer with them about connecting Curtis properties. Councilman Buckingham submitted a letter of resignation from Council and the above Mr. Lovett was appointed to fill the seat until 1928 election. The New Century Club had two requests: cooperation in cleaning up the town and better protection from traffic. Council replied that a police officer guarded the intersection of Academy and Delaware at school dismissal times and other problem areas were being studied

Published: July 22, 2016
May-August 1927 – A new dump truck cost $630. Council refused to issue a permit to Leo Noyes for exhibition of his Metropolitan Shows in Newark. A bond issue of $150.000 was authorized, coincidental with extending town limits, for expanding utility services and enlarging the sewer disposal plant. A contract at $30,395 was awarded to Fernow Construction Company to extend sewer service. George Murray, Cleveland Avenue, was ordered to lay pavement in front of his property or face fines. The Street Committee was looking into needed work on Kershaw Street. Council had an agreement with B&O Railroad to make repairs around the station and bids were sought. Frank Walker was authorized, and paid $50.00, to take a town census. The tax rate for 1927 was $1.10/$100.00 valuation. Prior to awarding contract to W. G. Fritz Company for extension of water lines, a comparison of cast iron vs. centrifugal (sand-spun manufacturing process) pipe was held and the work would be done with sandspun pipe saving $2019. Cost of a horse and cart for street work was $2.00/day. One hundred twenty traffic signal lamps cost $40.80. Alfred Stiltz was paid $5.00 for conveying a prisoner to the County Work House. Harry Cleaves warned not to fill the storm-drainage ditch on his property. VanSant & Sons were notified to remove trash back of their garage as it was a fire hazard. An electric fan for the office was purchased. Houses in town were to be numbered.

Published: August 5, 2016
September-October 1927 – Probably due to the widening of College Avenue, Delaware Ledger Publishing Company, located on the northwest corner of Delaware and S. College Avenues, agreed to move their building back if the town would dig and cement a new cellar. Misses Nellie and Etta Wilson were paid $500 for sewer right-of-way through their property. (Transcriber’s note: The Wilson property was on East Main Street just east of Tyre Avenue. Their nephew was Gen. “Iron Mike” O’Daniel of WW II fame. Wilson School is named for Miss Etta.) The Choate Street sewer was almost totally obstructed for an unknown reason. William Barnard was instructed to take out a milk permit since he was selling milk within town limits. (Transcriber’s note: Mr. Barnard owned the property that is now site of the car dealerships on Cleveland Avenue.) For engineering reasons, the sewer along West Main would have to go in the middle of the street bed. Council agreed to continue extending the sewer to all parts of town. Forty-three hydrants were purchased for $2190 and nine manholes for 112.50. A resolution was passed making it unlawful for any vehicle to pass a “Stop” sign without coming to a stop, the fine to be $5.00. A 25-30 foot flagpole and a flag were authorized for the water works building. A new concrete bridge over White Clay Creek was contracted out at $3170. Water service to Curtis Paper, would require laying water line under creekbed instead of attaching it to the bridge.

Published: August 12, 2016
October 1927 – The following obituary abstract dated October 31 (no year), is not in the Town Minutes but is included here as a point of interest: “Dr. H.G.M. Kollock, 78, died yesterday. For more than 50 years Dr. Kollock looked after a large practice, but also took an active part in civic and business affairs. Some years ago he estimated he had attended at more than 2000 births. A native of Milford, he moved to Newark after attending Jefferson Medical School. His wife, nee Miss Ann Evans, died more than a quarter century ago (c.1902). Dr. Kollock was appointed to the Board of Trustees of Delaware College (now University of Delaware) in 1882. He was an organizer of the Newark Trust Company. He was past-president of Delaware Medical Society, president of the trustees of Newark Academy and a member of Hiram Lodge A.F. and A.M. For several years Dr. Kollock was president of Town Council and served on the local Board of Health. In politics Dr. Kollock was a Democrat but never held office. He will be buried in Head of Christiana Cemetery.” (Transcriber’s note: Dr. Kollock’s home was on the northeast corner of Center and Main Streets.)
 
November-December 1927 – William Smith questioned the amount of his water bill but was required to pay in full. A town fire inspector was appointed. Pay of the garbage collector was to remain same. An addition to the sewage disposal plant cost $5611.28.

Published: August 19, 2016
Excerpts from Newark’s earliest records courtesy of Pencader Heritage Museum December 1927 – Kells Avenue residents complaining about standing water in the street were assured the condition would be corrected shortly with application of cinders. George Rhodes was paid fifty cents for paper towels. A security deposit of $5.00 would now be required of renters to get electrical service. Alice Kerr was hired to assist in town office due to extra work in connection with extension of water, sewer and electric services. A request to have town help pay for gold footballs souvenirs for high school team was tabled. A $100 donation was made to Flower Hospital since they frequently were not paid for emergency services. An order was issued to immediately install a septic tank at the foot of New London Avenue to alleviate sewage disposal problems there.
 
January-February 1928 – Treasury balance January 1 was $14,617 and month’s disbursements were $4614. The United Workmen wanted to rent the extra room in town hall for meetings, but were told it was now being used for storage. An accounting of all property eligible for sewer service was authorized to facilitate in assessing sewer tax as new lines were completed. The list was to be publicly displayed and objections would be heard and considered. Two residents said they were overcharged and one said undercharged. All assessments were corrected. J. P Wright was reimbursed $1.00 per foot for curbing he installed on Kent Way, $1072.00. Council met with B&O railroad officials about more safety measures at crossings.

Published: August 26, 2016
March-May 1928 – The Street Committee was dealing with periodic flooding of two intersections: West Delaware/South College Avenues and East Delaware/Haines Street. The New Century Club was complaining about the latter problem. Reimbursement was authorized to two property owners for curbing they installed. Total cost of new south side sewer system was $61,672. Total assessable property frontage was 33,336’, to be taxed at $1.85 per foot (later reduced to $1.61.) Guy Ford was asked to repair or replace his sign near George Leak’s garage. (Transcriber’s note: Leak’s Garage sat approximately where the traffic island is at the split of Main Street and Rt. 273.) George Phipps questioned Council’s right to charge newly annexed territory for some of sewer construction costs. Trash collection was changed to bi-monthly. Council borrowed a street roller from Levy Court and would be charged only for operating expenses. Two new Council members were elected in April. Charles Hubert and William Wollaston. Laurence Brown, Roland Wollaston, Mark Malcom, Homer Malcom, Billy Fletcher and Allison Manus were the boys responsible for breaking street lights on Orchard Road. Their parents were notified and each boy was expected to pay $2.20 damages. Council insisted that B&O railroad crossing on North College have a 24-hour guard. Lyon & Ligon of Baltimore were contracted at $10,708 to build storm sewer lines. Estimates on street pavings were being prepared. Water line to a fireplug near Miss Nellie Wilson’s property had been exposed during removal of a tree.

Published: September 2, 2016
May-July 1928 – Contract at $77,775 was awarded to Petrillo Company to pave Orchard Road, West and East Park, and South College Avenue. Geraniums for the water plant cost $5.00 at Newark Flower Shop. Complaint was made that Charles Dougherty had not connected to sewer but no action was taken. Delaware Electric Power had announced reduced electric rates for Wilmington customers. Since Newark bought electricity from the company, Council inquired asking if Newark would benefit also. Uof D offered Newark use their tennis courts for summer on condition a watchman was provided. Council replied that if offer was accepted, the courts would be well cared for. Motorists were parking too close to corners, so lines would be painted 30’ from corners. The pool room on Haines was declared a nuisance and Mr. Stradley of Diamond Ice & Coal was asked to abate the problem. A phone, at town expense, was installed in home of police officer James Keeley. Another motorist had run into fireplug on East Main Street that should have been removed several weeks prior. The traffic light at South Chapel was obstructed by trees. Red Men’s Lodge was given permission to widen West Park Place to 30’. American Legion and VFW were given use of rooms in the Academy Building. County Levy Court had agreed to do street improvement on part of West Park Place that was outside town limits. Five dollars was received for sale of town maps.

Published: September 9, 2016
August-September 1928 - Council paid R. Crow $4.50 for making a table and shelves. William Wideman was appointed a Special Office, but discussion of a motorcycle for him was temporarily tabled. Later he was apparently offered $25.00 extra per month provided he furnished his own motorcycle. Mr. Herbener had two business signs which extended over the sidewalk, even after being told that was not acceptable. The Methodist Church was granted requested extra lighting on Academy Street for ten services in September, but no specifics given. A bill from Fuller Brush Company for $6.30 was paid. Regular testing showed bacteria count in some milk sold in town was at or above safe limits. Mr. Petrillo was fined $5.00 for some infraction but payment waived since he was doing street work for the town. Council requested residents to scrub their garbage pails once a week, keep them covered and drain off all liquid. Two trees on Choate Street were considered menaces. One was ordered removed and owner to be contacted about the other. Haney and Waters properties on East Main had unsightly weeds. A street light was requested for back of Chinese laundry. Councilman Beals’s term ended when he sold his house as only property owners could be councilmen. William Lynam was appointed to fill the unexpired term. Paving West Park Place from Orchard Road to town limits, approximately 700 feet, would cost $8000-$10,000 and was authorized if the contractor would accept a six-months IOU.

Published: September 16, 2016
October-November 1928 – Platt & Cohen complained when electric poles were replaced on South Chapel, that the original poles belonged to them and the Town took them away. Complaints were made against Platt & Cohen that blood from their butchering business had an offensive odor and was interfering with sewer effectiveness. Those behind in paying sewer bills would be sent a copy of ordinance pertaining to payments. A request by H. Godfrey to have his driveway curb-cut moved was tabled. The railroad crossing at Newark Center was in poor condition. Dr. Pearson charged $10.00 to examine two men for drunkenness which Council thought was “exorbitant” and tabled it until next month. Jonathan Johnson would lose his license to sell milk in town if he didn’t raise the butterfat content and improve storage methods. Two businesses, Robert Davis Grocery Store (located where Herman’s Meat Market is now) and the Blue Hen Tea Room, billed the town for ice cream lost when the electric service failed, but Council refused to pay since they didn’t want to set a precedent. Hurd and Cooch residences on W. Main Street had gas service issues. Mr. Handloff offered use of his lots on Delaware Avenue for parking and the Street Committee was to research costs of lighting and cindering, reporting back to Council. The Lum Development (now Lumbrook area) residents wanted a fire hydrant installed, at their cost since it was outside town limits, and Council agreed.

Published: October 7, 2016
November-December 1928 - The Board of Heath urged enforcement of plumbing codes, including certification for each property that use of cesspools had been discontinued and pools filled in. Council agreed to pay all expenses related to disinfecting of cesspools. The Board of Health also advocated that all surface toilets be outlawed. Since Annabelle Street was beyond town limits, Council’s attorney was being consulted as to whether the residents could be compelled to make sewer connections. South College Avenue residents Spence and Fulmer were instructed to lay sidewalks in front of their properties or Council would do it, adding 10% when billing the owners. Council agreed to refund Mark Malcolm’s $25.00 fee for breaking into the street to make a water tap since he had been told the tap was already made or he would have done it before street was improved. Mr. Malcolm also complained the sewer main was too far from his property and he shouldn’t have to bear the whole cost of running a connector. Council said regardless of the distance, his whole property would drain into the sewer and refused to share the cost. Robert Lewis said his pavement was installed under guidance of town engineer, but was six inches higher than his neighbor’s. He wanted his complaint registered in case of accident. The neighbor, George Griffin, said he would promptly replace his pavement to specifications. Council asked for a letter of intent from Mr. Griffin.

Published: October 14, 2016
January-February 1929 – Treasury balance beginning 1929 was $4380.87. Contractor Petrillo rendered a bill of $3169.78 for West Park Place work. Council donated $25.00 to the Poultry Show expenses. Robert Davis deducted the cost of ice cream lost in a power failure from his electric bill. Council rejected this and re-sent the bill for the total amount. Doris Hudson, Vera Brown, Ernest Jarrell and John McKinsey filed a $40,000 suit against the town as a result of an accident on Main Street in March 1928. The case was settled out of court for $2650. Council gave in and paid Dr. Pearson’s disputed bill of $10.00 for examining two men for drunkenness. Mr. Dean was given permission to install gasoline tanks at North Chapel and Margaret Streets. Questions were raised about having voter registration available at all times, instead of just certain days. George Goldey suggested changing election day to Saturday with longer hours. Council decided to keep Tuesday as election day, but extend the hours. The Charter stated all contracts over $500.00 had to be advertised for bids. The quarterly water allowance at regular price was raised to 10,000 gallons. Delinquent taxes prior to 1928 were referred for collection. Mayor Eben Frazer died suddenly and a formal resolution was passed honoring him. It was sent to the family and published in local papers. Town offices were closed for the day of the funeral and $25.00 was spent on flowers.

Published: October 28, 2016
March 1929 – Councilman Hubert was appointed to Acting Mayor replacing the late Eben Frazer. The Red Men’s Home applied to the Legislature for exemption from taxes for curbing and sewers. A delegation was sent to Dover to meet with the committee considering said request. Merchants in town wanted a chance to bid on the contract for supplying the town with light bulbs. William Cunningham was appointed a full-time police officer at $120.00 per month providing he used his own motorcycle. Residents were complaining of several bad spot in streets around town. Mrs. Thomas Ross was refunded her $1.10 capitation tax as she was a minor. Drafts of a new charter would not be sent to State Legislature for two years as more changes were under consideration, including making unpaid taxes a lien against property. Mr. Handloff requested permission to put signs on trees and poles advertising his new theater. (This would have been the opening of the State Theater.) Needing more information, Council phoned Mr. Handloff during the meeting and asked him to appear that evening to clarify exactly what he wanted. He was granted permission provided the signs were not up more than ten days. George Leak was questioning his electric bill, as a small portion of his property was in town limits. (He was apparently seeking the lower in-town rate.) Leak’s Garage sat approximately where the traffic island is at the divergence of Main Street and Ogletown Road.

Published: November 4, 2016
April-June 1929 – Henry Mote approached Council saying he knew the town truck needed new tires, quoting prices for tires and tubes. Council agreed to purchase the next set of tires from him. Redeemed utility bonds were burned in the furnace in presence of Council. A petition was drawn for presentation to Governor Buck delineating Council’s basis for objections to The Red Men’s Fraternal Home being exempted from paying its assessment for sewers and street gutters fronting their property. After April’s election Frank Collins was the new mayor, other new members being Ralph Haney, Herbert Fleming and Daniel Stoll. Newton Sheaffer and Robert Lewis had been judges for the election. Bookkeeper Alice Kerr’s annual salary was raised from $1200 to $1500. Daylight Saving Time was approved. The Newark Grange wrote Council concerning parking problems and was told the Chamber of Commerce was working on a plan to alleviate the situation. The Bus Company was asked to set designated stops. Merle Sigmund was hired as Town Engineer to set grades for street, etc. His first job would be to define and mark town limits. Petrillo Construction said they never received the $2500.00 check sent to them in January for street work. The gutters in front of Continental-Diamond Fibre Company were blocked with stones and excess tar from the last street paving job. Mr. Brannan, the garbage collector, had his pay raised to $125.00/month. (Which happened to be the same the town secretary, Laura Hossinger, was getting.)

Published: December 2, 2016
October-November 1929 – Upgrading of electrical distribution system was authorized, estimated to cost $1800.00. Two additional street lights were authorized for South Chapel. Amstel Avenue residents were urged to trim trees before any streetlights were installed. Fire Chief Ellison reported that overgrown lots were a fire hazard and he was asked to submit a list of the property owners. Since the town had two regular police officers, William Wideman was relieved of duty as an auxiliary officer. The parking ordinance discussed last month was considered unworkable so was dropped. Mayor Collins said when Center Street was completed perhaps it could be used for parking. Mrs. Bertha Stiltz’s dog bit a child and she was ordered to restrain her dog. Stop signs at the intersections of Delaware/Orchard and N. College/Cleveland were discussed but no action taken. A suggestion that Lovett Avenue be opened to South Chapel was stymied by a lot belonging to a man from Philadelphia who spoke of building a house there. Parking spaces were to be delineated by painted lines one foot wider than the average car. Shoveled snow should be piled on edge of sidewalk, not tossed into gutters. Time limits for parking were being drawn up. Pavement grades at the new post office did not comply with town ordinances even though the contractor had been warned before the pavement was finished, so a letter of complaint would be sent to US Treasury Department architect.

Published: December 9, 2016
December 1929–March 1930 – Balance in treasury December 1: $25,652.29. New parking rules, one hour limit: B&O RR to Chapel Street from 8:00AM to 10:00PM with $5.00 fine for violation. The Chamber of Commerce wanted the limit at three hours. Lions Club suggested angle parking on one side and parallel on other for a week or 10 days’ trial. However, a petition signed by 25 citizens asked that the new rules not be issued. Action deferred to next month. Bus stops rearrangement was requested of Wilmington Traction Co., which operated the bus line. A new one-ton dump truck was acquired from Fader Ford for $840.00 with a trade-in of $219.50. Flower Hospital was given $100.00 and $50.00 to Visiting Nurses’ Association. State Police commended Officer Cunningham for his aid in apprehending James Spencer. Action was delayed on Joseph Brown’s request for two “No Parking” signs in front of his business, probably the Texaco station in the Exchange Building now site of Klondike Kate’s. The new non-clogging sewer pump was reported working very well. Complaint of speeding on New London Avenue. Mrs. Sommermeyer’s letter of complaint concerning standing water in gutter was tabled. George Rhodes and Earl Dawson were appointed to audit town books. Superintendent Ira Brinser’s request the school watchman be sworn in as a special officer so he could handle traffic problems around the high school was tabled. Delaware Power & Light’s request to extend lines in town was tabled.

Published: December 16, 2016
March-May 1930 – William Northrop, South College Avenue, requested a remedy for street water which overflowed onto his property. Temporary relief was promised with mitigation when weather improved. Fifty-four signs with street names were ordered and the posts for them were installed. The new dump truck came with dual wheels by mistake, but the difference being only $25.00, it was decided to keep the duals. Residents of East Main were complaining of radio disturbances. The Delaware Power Co was asked to see if high tension lines at the substation were responsible. City employees were answering calls about no electricity and usually finding problems not the city’s fault. The employees started carrying replacement fuses with them and the resident was charged for .50 for replacement fuses. Dean Robinson commended the town officer for efficient services at the Women’s College gym meet. Messrs. Hubert, Lovett, Mote and Widdoes were newly elected to Council. Ralph Haney resigned from Council as he was moving away. State Department of Education was given permission for a parade of County children who had a year of perfect attendance. U of D asked for “No Parking” signs on Delaware Avenue from S. College to Wolf Hall. Aetna Fire Company requested an ordinance against storing or burning paper or boxes as they could become a fire hazard. A safe for the office was purchased for $475.00. Complaints were made of dumps near town. Dr. Strode was appointed to the Board of Health.

Published: December 23, 2016
May-October 1930 – Ten thousand paid off on street improvement bonds. George Ferguson appointed to fill vacancy on Council. Farmer’s Trust agreed to reduce interest on town loan by half percent. Bids were sought to repair a crack appearing in town reservoir. Council and Delaware Power agreed on improvements to electrical service lines. Owners of vacant lots were warned to cut weeds at least twice a month during summer as they were a fire hazard. Property owners were warned of possible opening of a new street from Lovett Avenue to Continental Avenue. Storm sewer under construction since 1928 was complete. Traffic was being limited to one way on Choate Street. Six tons of calcium chloride were purchased to allay dust on unpaved streets. A larger water main and an additional fire hydrant were authorized for Ray Street. The “silent policeman” was considered outdated and unsafe, needing to be replaced with something more modern. U of D trustees were urged to find parking on campus for students and faculty. William Crossan, residing outside town limits, requested water and sewer service. His request was ordered investigated. The State Police were asked to consider establishing a sub-station in Newark since there were three state highways through town, two other states were near-by and 750+ U/D students in residence represented more responsibility than Newark’s police force could handle safely. Complaints were raised about garbage being included in trash put out for “Clean-up Days”, instead of with regular garbage.

Published: December 30, 2016
October-December 1930 – One or both water tanks would be painted, depending on the cost of labor. It would take about 50 gallons of aluminum paint. A new Indian motorcycle was purchased for the Police Dept. at a cost of $380.85. Three police call boxes were to be installed for greater police efficiency. Sites chosen were Center Street, near Deer Park Hotel and State Theater. The Newark Opera House was behind on electric and water bills, so the matter was referred to town attorney. The B&O Railroad promised improvements to both crossings in town. Councilman Ferguson’s wife died and Council sent flowers to funeral. Orville Mann was hired as a police officer. New rules said policemen were allowed one day a week off, all police officers to have keys to Council offices, and every street in town to be patrolled nightly. January-February 1931 – Local dentists Dr. Pearson and Dr. Dunlevy were given permission to use a room in Council offices one day a week for a dental clinic. Atlantic Refining Company asked permission to build a gas station at the corner of Main and South Chapel. A notice would be placed in local papers to asking that all out-standing taxes be paid. Traffic Officer Cunningham needed new leggings and Officer Keeley needed an overcoat. Used trucks, a Ford from Fader and a Chevrolet from Wilmington Auto were purchased for use by light and water departments. Whether truck drivers would need chauffeur’s license was questioned.