Various philosophers have said “if you don’t know where you came from, you can’t know where you’re going.” In order that Newark knows where it came from the Post will be publishing Out of Our Past, as a companion to Out of the Attic. Content of Out of Our Past will be excerpts from the earliest city government records. These handwritten records frequently have questionable spelling and no punctuation. That’s fun to see, but for easier reading this deficiency has been rectified in the transcription by Barbara White. For our readers’ enjoyment this account from the past will be published every week and is being made available through the generosity of Pencader Heritage Museum.
Published: Jan. 2, 2015
May 1899, Interest of $865 on outstanding debt for water and electric systems was due. Joshua Beltz, engineer at the water and electric plant resigned, effective immediately. Charles Glenn was hired to fill the job at $45.00/month. George Murray was informed his services as bailiff were no longer needed. John Chalmers was appointed to replace him as bailiff and night watchman. Chalmers was to live in town and be paid $30.00/month for duty seven nights a week. New Century Club ladies requested town to furnish a horse-drawn street sprinkler and water, but Council declined to furnish either due to cost. The Board of Health requested Council’s help in protecting the town from spread of infectious diseases and $100.00 was approved for the purpose, providing all bills were approved by Council before payment. Council spent three evenings going over property assessments for 1899.
June 1899, Lacking a quorum, the regular June Council meeting was postponed for several days. Bids were requested for painting siding and roof of the Town Building, Dixon Graphite paint specified. Closets built in the fire company room to store members’ coats and boots. A traveling Merry-Go-Round owner paid $3.50 for a license to operate the attraction. The 1899 tax rate was $1.00/100.00 with a 5% rebate if paid before August 1st. Town Alderman, George Medill was paid $5.00 for inspecting a property for the Board of Health. Diamond State Telephone Company wanted to extend its lines into Newark.
Published: Jan. 9, 2015
August-September 1899, Council ordered 100 dog tags and the bailiff earned ten cents for every dog he registered. Through September he registered 155 dogs. Winning bid to paint the Town Building siding and roof went to R. M. Ennis at $35.00. Anna Hossinger was reimbursed $1058, money she had loaned Council toward building the water system. Some pedestrian crossings over the dusty streets were upgraded. A desk and chair for Council office cost $16.25. The town was assessed $300.00 in road fees by White Clay Hundred Commissioners. At the request of the Board of Health, reminders were published in local newspaper for one month reminding citizens of the dog muzzling ordinance. The Misses Evans were notified to bring their lot on North College Avenue into “the character of the town.”
October 1899, Bailiff Chalmers registered another 41 dogs. He was also authorized to buy a police overcoat, cost not to exceed $12.50, which would become property of the town. Council rescinded permission for Diamond State Telephone Company to bring lines to Newark. The Football Club wanted four electric lights put on the Academy Street lot, which Council agreed to do, but the Club had to pay regular electric rates. Bids for installing a steam-heat boiler in the Town Building were sought. Council notified the B. & O. RR to have an electric warning bell installed at North College Avenue crossing. December 1899, Another 31 dogs were registered by the Bailiff.
Published: Jan. 16, 2015
December 1899, A paved pedestrian crossing was authorized at Choate and Main Streets, also new streetlight was ordered at College and Delaware Avenues. The electric line poles were to be inspected and replaced as needed. Twenty dollars was donated to the Fire Company to help pay for coal and other expenses. J. Hayes won the bid, at $86.00, to install a steam heater in Town Building, it to guarantee heating second floor to 70 degrees.
January-April 1900, Four Board of Health members offered their resignations which were not accepted. The Water Committee purchased a pair of gum boots for $4.95, wearer not specified. The B.&O. RR was notified to “abate the nuisance of oiling the street crossings and detention of freight trains on crossings.” The Street Committee was to investigate placing convenient pedestrian crossings at the west end of town. A new “water feed heater” for the pumping station boiler was needed. Installation of a 4” water main from South College to Academy along Delaware Avenue was under consideration. Newly elected to Council were Ira McLaughlin and J. Caleb. Thomas McBride was elected engineer at the pumping station at $45.00/month. Appointed to Board of Health were W. Bishop, Benj. Campbell, Dr. Kollock, Prof. E. Waring, and Dr. Wolf. Audit of town books was accepted as presented, ordered printed, and made available to citizens. A year’s bid was accepted for Georges Creek coal delivered to water station, $3.05 per metric ton.
Published: Jan. 23, 2015
May 1900, Council authorized borrowing $802.50 to pay interest due July 1st on water and electric construction bonds. John Chalmers, bailiff and constable, was required to report at monthly Council meetings. Council was preparing a defined list of the bailiff’s duties and investigating the cost of a watchclock for use of bailiff. New Century Club members were concerned about trash in the streets. The matter was turned over to Council’s Street Committee for action. At $1.00 per telephone pole tax, $44.00 was reported collected for 1899.
June 1900, A license to perform an Uncle Tom show cost $2.00. Water pumped in May was over 1.2 million gallons using 47 tons of coal to operate the boilers. Official rules for the bailiff were set: On duty eleven hours per night, wear uniform and badges on duty, make regular rounds of town and register at points as directed by Council, prevent unseemly conduct by intoxicated or belligerent persons, not countenance marauding town or college boys, and not hold a second job. Citizen complaints of drainage problems on south side of Main Street near Delaware Avenue were presented. National Meter Company representative was on hand to explain working of their water meters, “which were in use in a large number of cities.” On appeal Reed’s and Donnell’s brick houses had tax assessment reduced. Street Committee was ordered to clean and keep maintained the drain on east side of McPike property.
Published: Jan. 30, 2015
June 1900, Rules were being established, allowing Delmaria Telephone Company to operate in town. The Company guaranteed subscribers were to have unlimited service between Newark and Wilmington’s 1200 subscribers with no extra toll charges. Newark subscribers would be given coupon books for use when in Wilmington. If the number of Newark subscribers warranted it, the phone exchange would be open 24 hours a day; otherwise from 6 AM to 10 PM, “it being the Company’s desire to accommodate without extortion.” Delmaria would be required to build a pole line the entire length of Main Street: chestnut poles painted white to within eight or ten feet from ground, there to the ground to be Council’s choice of olive green or red. Residential charge would be $3.00 and business $3.75/month.
July 1900, Curbing and guttering were completed in response to citizens’ complaints in May. Water meters ordered installed in hotels, livery stables, public buildings, manufacturing establishments, and railroad water tanks as they were largest water users.
August 1900, The Board of Health bought an oil stove for $2.00, use not stated. Near-by residents complained of a band (probably Fire Company band) practicing in the Town Building and asked that it be stopped. No action taken. Attention was directed to poor condition of town well cover at the water plant. Bids were to be taken for a replacement. Irving Hoffecher was newly hired as superintendent of Water and Light Department, salary $60.00 per month.
Published: Feb. 13, 2015
April-August 1901. Jacob Shew, superintendent of Water & Electric Department was paid $50.00/month and had to relieve the engineer two nights a month. George Medill was elected Alderman and John Chalmers as Bailiff and Constable. The Board of Health consisted of Professors Bishop and Murray, Doctors Kolloch and Wolf, and Ben Campbell. A mad dog in town had bitten several other dogs and Bailiff Chalmers was ordered to kill any dogs so bitten if their owners let them run loose. President of Council was instructed to employ a town dog catcher. Plans for covering well at pumping station were ordered drawn. A committee was to confer with Methodist Church and B&O RR in regard to wire fencing. (Note: Location not indicated but was probably along the cemetery /railroad boundary line where a wall is now standing. The Methodist Church operated the cemetery at that time.) The assessment on A. A. Curtis’s house on West Main Street was reduced from $10,000 to $8,000. The Light Committee was to decide between two companies who had solicited the town to buy scrap copper at 11 cents and 15 cents per pound. Council eventually received $38.05 for the scrap. Problems with inadequate water supply continually plagued the town and Council consulted Wilmington and Middletown in regard to their experiences. Sale of water to the B&O RR was halted. There was a dispute between the town and Pomeroy Railroad about lines crossing tracks on East Main Street.
Published: Feb. 20, 2015
September-October 1901 – Alderman suggested the policeman’s duty hours be noon to midnight. Three hundred feet of new fire hose, to cost 60 cents per foot, and guaranteed at 300 pounds pressure per foot, were ordered. The town apportionment for White Clay Creek Hundred road work was $300.00, same as it had been for many years. Bicycle riders on pavement or riding at night without lights would be subject to fines per town ordinance, so said a newspaper notice. Pennsylvania RR was ordered to put five lights in Newark Center station, at a fee of $12.00 per year with lights to be turned off at 7:00 pm.
The telephone company was ordered to paint their poles olive green, 2 coats, up several feet from ground. A different telephone company requested permission to put poles on Delaware Avenue between Academy and Chapel. Choate Street was going to get phone lines. A streetlight was ordered in front of Wilson property on East Main. Roof of the pumping station was ordered painted with graphite. The B&O RR kept blocking street crossings, causing complaints. Town officials also wanted an alarm bell placed at North College crossing. A request came to Council to plant trees on Delaware and Cleveland Avenues, but no action was taken. Matter of water meter at Washington House was left to Water Committee to decide. Minor repairs were ordered to pumping station boilers, but specifications for new boilers were requested.
Published: Feb. 27, 2015
November-December 1901- Delaware & Atlantic Telegraph and Telephone Company was given permission to put poles on New London Avenue provided they transfer the electric wires to their poles, said poles carrying electric lines to be exempt from taxes.
Board of Health was concerned about drainage problems on Choate Street and Delaware Avenue. Council would grant an annual appropriation of $250.00 to Aetna Fire Company provided the Company keep apparatus in good condition and heat the Town Building. The water meter was removed from Washington House and flat rate of $60.00/year to be charged. Contract at $943.00 was awarded for a 125 pound pressure boiler. Council wanted to install a water meter and charge Delaware College 25 cent/1000 gallons. Newark band was asked to vacate their room in the town building for use of the fire company.
January-March 1902 – The smokestack at the pumping station was in bad shape and a $1373.00 contract was awarded for a 44 inch stack, 70 feet high. Electric meters were to be installed at Delaware College and Red Men’s Home. Caskey Hall had an electric meter installed and a water meter was ordered for Lovett’s bottling plant. New Century Club was given permission to plant Norway maple trees on Main Street as a memorial to Mrs. Kollock, late wife of Dr. H. G. M. Kollock. An audit of town books showed $4714 on hand. The two auditors were paid $12.50 each.
Published: March 13, 2015
August-September 1902 – A trolley company asked Council for a franchise to build a line on Main Street from Elkton Avenue to east end of town, to be known as Newark and Elkton Trolley Line. Council discussed it but took no action. A carload of dressed curbing was ordered for placement on Chapel and Choate Streets. A one inch (1”) water line was ordered on Cleveland Avenue apparently to serve a property owned by D. Rose.
Water in the town well was ordered analyzed. The trolley question was re-considered and voted down 4-3, but later a lengthy town ordinance was put in place, if by chance an agreement could be reached with trolley company. The company failed to post bond as required by ordinance, so the deal was voided. In November extending town limits was under discussion. Surveyor Wilson was instructed to survey and draw a plot plan as outlined, but no details are given. January 1903 - Two blankets were purchased for the lock-up. Electric meters were to be placed in all buildings having more than three lights. Officer Murray reported arresting a drunken man who had paid a $5.00 fine to the Alderman. Another streetlight on North College Avenue and one on Cleveland Avenue were requested, but no action taken. The two telephone companies with lines in town were asked to refrain from using spikes when climbing shade trees along the streets.
Published: March 13, 2015
February-June 1903 – An emergency meeting of Council OK’d paying for citizens’ smallpox vaccinations, at the request of the Board of Health, as there was an outbreak in the vicinity of Newark. Council agreed to pay a Mr. Hitchens for damages to his sleigh from running into a curb stone in the street. Approval was given to have town limits changed from Mr. McKee’s lane to the hedge east of the McKee house. Western Union tax bills for 1901 and 1902 were in arrears and placed in hands of Council’s attorney for collection. A. Fisher and C. King were appointed to assist in town election in April. New electric meters were needed in town and General Electric said company policy required payment in full in 60 days not extended over several months as Council wanted, so discussion of new meters was tabled. Bailiff Murray asked for and received a $5.00 per month salary increase. Street superintendent Perry asked and received an increase of 25 cents per day in wages. The salaries of pumping station superintendent and engineer were each raised by $5.00 per month. Electric rates were reduced from 10 cents to 5 cents per kilowatt hour. Mr. Lovell was asked to refrain from blowing the whistle at his bottling plant after 6:00 PM. Electric rates set: band stand for 6 lights and library for 3 lights, each at 50 cents per month. The armory rated 8 lights at $1.00 per month.
Published: March 20, 2015
February-June 1903 – An emergency meeting of Council OK’d paying for citizens’ smallpox vaccinations, at the request of the Board of Health, as there was an outbreak in the vicinity of Newark. Council agreed to pay a Mr. Hitchens for damages to his sleigh from running into a curb stone in the street. Approval was given to have town limits changed from Mr. McKee’s lane to the hedge east of the McKee house. Western Union tax bills for 1901 and 1902 were in arrears and placed in hands of Council’s attorney for collection. A. Fisher and C. King were appointed to assist in town election in April. New electric meters were needed in town and General Electric said company policy required payment in full in 60 days not extended over several months as Council wanted, so discussion of new meters was tabled. Bailiff Murray asked for and received a $5.00 per month salary increase. Street superintendent Perry asked and received an increase of .25 per day in wages. The salaries of pumping station superintendent and engineer were each raised by $5.00 per month. Electric rates were reduced from 10 cents to 5 cents per kilowatt hour. Mr. Lovell was asked to refrain from blowing the whistle at his bottling plant after 6:00 PM. Electric rates set: band stand for 6 lights and library for 3 lights, each at 50 cents per month. The armory rated 8 lights at $1.00 per month.
Published: March 27, 2015
June-August 1903 – Boundary stones were set for new town limits and electric service was to be extended. Those electric customers more than 3 months in arrears must pay up by July 1 or be disconnected. Future bills would not be allowed to run more than 3 months in arrears. Delaware College twice requested clarification about having wires cross streets from White Clay Creek Supply Co. to power new Machinery Hall in day time. No action taken either time. A service charge for connecting and discontinuing electric and water service was instituted. A committee was named to investigate Mr. Ewing’s claim that his carriage had been broken on Choate Street by colliding with another carriage because his horse was frightened by a pile of bricks. Complaints about disorder around the Deer Park resulted in a warning to prevent same in future.
September 1903-A freeholders’ petition asked for a new street to be opened from North Chapel to Choate Street. Mr. Ewing’s request for compensation due to damages to his carriage was refused because the bricks were on the sidewalk and the accident was either Mr. Ewing’s or his horse’s fault. Delaware Suburban Trolley Company was still trying to reach an agreement with Council for service in Newark. Jonathan Johnston was granted permission to shoot rats and would be exempt from fine for shooting within town limits.
Published: April 3, 2015
October 1903 – The drainage ditch on New London and Cleveland Avenues was ordered repaired. Bailiff Murray was given permission to purchase one uniform with extra trousers, cost not to exceed $15.50. Three property owners had a small portion of land condemned to build a new 42’ street between North Chapel and Choate. (Note: No other name was ever given to the street. It’s still called New Street.)
November-December 1903 - Any taxes owed by employees of the town would be withheld from their pay. County Constable Anton Sadler was retained at $75.00 per year to assist the town bailiff on Saturday nights, holidays and other times as needed. An addition to Town Ordinances was given first and second reading: Anyone impeding traffic on sidewalks or streets who failed to give way upon reasonable request by an officer would be guilty of being a common nuisance and fined one to ten dollars upon conviction. Council president was given standing powers to swear in additional officers as needed. Samuel Wright asked if there was electrical capacity to supply power to Newark Opera House. That request brought up the questions of installing meters on all “light takers” having more than five lights. Those having less than five would be charged 50 cents per month per light. Meters were to be purchased on best terms available. Interest due December 1 for electric ($62.50) and water ($700.00) bonds was ordered paid.
Published: April 10, 2015
January-April 1904 – Town treasury held $2586.24 at the beginning of the new year. Apparently, the town insurance business was spread among all local agents. Samuel Donnell, George Williams and James Hossinger were active in town affairs for years. The three, called agents, were paid a total $58.35 for insurance. No specifics were recorded. The Board of Health received an appropriation of $50.00. The ordinance against loitering and blocking traffic passed unanimously after its official 3rd reading. Changes to the heating pipes were needed for the lock-up. Property assessment was reduced to $1.50 per front foot. Alfred Curtis was given permission to move a double building across Main Street to Corbet Street, provided he be responsible for any damage to public or private property. All poll taxes for 1901 and 1902 were ordered cancelled and credited on town books as errors.
May 1904 – Registering dogs brought in $12.25. The Board of Health asked for another small appropriation as funds had been exhausted due to a number of houses having been under quarantine in the past few months. A question arose about how to register trips around town made by the bailiff. Prices for a watchman’s clock were to be sought. The only coal considered suitable to power the pumping station was Georges Creek Jackson Mine. E. Richards won a year’s contract to supply it at $3.59 per metric ton, delivered to the electric and water plant.
Published: April 17, 2015
May-June 1904 - Minimum charge for electricity was set at $2.00 per month. The year’s property assessment was made and put on display at Eben Frazer’s store for public inspection. As always, an appeal day was set for those who disagreed with their assessment. The public ditch between the McPike and Lewis properties was failing. The Street Committee was ordered to have it repaired to the best advantage. Ditches on New London Avenue were also ordered repaired. Western Union Telegraph Company finally paid their 1901-03 back taxes, a total of $87.58.
July-October 1904-A bill for $5.00 was sent to Father Ott for electricity used at the Catholic Festival. Dr. Kollock requested a water meter installed at his house, at his expense. Two twelve inch iron pipes were considered to replace a bridge over the town ditch across Main Street from McPike property. However, neighbors objected to the smaller pipes, saying they were not sufficient to carry off rainwater. Iron pipe at $22.00 per ton delivered to Newark Center station was ordered. Joseph Cooch asked that town drain on his property be extended by 60 feet beyond his stable. Sixty-six feet of 20 inch terracotta pipe was ordered for the project. Council was still having trouble collecting the capitation tax. No electric or water service was to be extended to property outside town limits. An increased water supply for the town was needed
Published: April 24, 2015
November-December 1904-Newark Cemetery Company, Chapel St, was told since the cemetery was tax exempt they would have to bear the expense of curb and gutters around the property. Newark Opera House to get electricity at same rate as other customers. Water supply problems were becoming critical and a new test well was recommended on the Maxwell property south of town. Council approached Charles Wollaston about sinking a well on his property, but he wanted too much money. Mrs. Corbett offered an acre of land for $300.00. Joseph Dean offered an acre north of the creamery for $100.00. Council chose Mrs. Corbett’s property as being most suitable for a test well. The town surveyor was working to plans for straightening street and establishing curb lines west of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad tracks. Delaware Trolley Co was ready to build a trolley line if Newark wanted it.
January-February 1905 - Bailiff Murray’s salary was increased from $1.00 per night to $1.25. Delaware College was limited to 1500 gallons per day due to water shortage. A New York company offered to sink a 2 ½ inch test well down to bedrock for $175.00. A rabid dog had bitten several dogs in town and as a safety measure the bailiff was ordered to impound any dog running loose without a muzzle and kill it if not redeemed in 24 hours. The fine for a dog running loose was $1.00.
Published: May 1, 2015
March-April 1905-The town treasury held $3086. A test well was sunk on Mrs. Corbett’s property adjacent to what is now the Newark History Museum. The water tested as being exceptionally pure. Ground for sinking a well and access to Depot Road was purchased from Mrs. Corbett for $347.64. A desperately needed new well could be put into service for approximately $5000. There was some disagreement with Council about a fence put up by the Newark and Pomeroy Railroad on Cleveland Avenue. Attorneys for both were conferring. After the 1905 election council members were: Messrs. Thompson, McLaughlin, Wilson, Donnell, Hossinger, Lutton and Powell. The Board of Health consisted of Doctors Harter and Steel, Joseph Cooch, C. King and J. Johnson. The answered question of selling the Water Works and Electric Light Plant still swirled around Council. Under town charter, Council had the right to do so, however, a referendum was ordered for May 16th placing the question before voters.
May-July 1905-Bailiff Murray asked for a summer uniform, but Council took no action on his request as they replaced him with John Frick. Delmarvia Telephone Company planned to remove their exchange from Newark. The advisability of the town owning a horse and cart for work around town was being discussed. On Appeal Day several requests for reduced tax assessments were refused and others granted. Thomas Maxwell was ordered to repair the drain and pavement along his property on Main Street or face consequences.
Published: May 8, 2015
August-October 1905-residents on Delaware Avenue east of Academy wanted water lines extended to them. Complaints were received about a vicious dog owned by Mrs. Beltz. Pavement along Thompson and Brown properties abutting the B&O RR was re-graded and owners were to furnish any additional bricks needed. The lock-up was cleaned, cost 75 cents. Work on the new well was progressing. Mr. Fothergill, an engineer was hired to oversee building of water line from new well into town, salary not to exceed $300. A 200 gallons/minute pump was to be installed in the well. Jaegle Company, well drillers, was paid $500, with $1000 due when work was completed. A problem surfaced when White Clay Creek Supply Company said they couldn’t furnish electricity for the new pumping needs. A flagstone walk was ordered from the Deer Park Hotel to B&O RR station. Contract for laying 4676 feet of piping went to Fritz & Partridge at $3478, with end of November deadline for completion.
November, 1905-A new agreement was made with Delmarvia Telephone Company concerning poles and wires. They were to put two cross-arms on each pole, one to be used by town for stringing electric lines. The company was to supply and install six telephones in buildings on Main Street for emergency fire or police use. For compliance the company was exempt from further taxes on its poles. L. Jacob was paid $916 to erect a brick building with a slate roof at new pumping station.
Published: May 15, 2015
November-December 1905-The town water shortage was so severe the following was published: “use water with greatest economy; all persons requested not to take tub baths; forbidden to wash animals or vehicles under penalty of having service stopped; electric light plant to be shut down to save the water used by boilers; no bon fires of any kind until water supply is strengthened.” The six phones installed by the telephone company for town use, under their contract, went to J. Cook; B& O RR watch box, S. Donnell, I McLaughlin, home of electric and water plant superintendent Shew and the utility plant itself.
January 1, 1906-No quorum present for monthly meeting, it was rescheduled for next day. Town bank account was overdrawn by $151.00. The new well was not working properly, so a second new well was ordered 25 feet from the first, this to be about 70 feet deep. Bills for $680 were paid for work on both wells. In February Council was approached by a company wanting to build a fiber plant on South Chapel and needed water line extended and a fire plug. They would also need street and gutter improvements to expedite hauling to and from the proposed plant. Council postponed a decision until the March meeting.
March 1906-J.Pilling Wright said his proposed fiber plant would employ at least 50 men and he needed a commitment from the city about water supply and street upgrades. Council granted his request
Published: May 22, 2015
March 1906-The town building/hose house was ordered re-wired and new light fixtures installed. Aetna Fire Company wanted to establish a substation near the B&O RR tracks to house a hose truck with at least 300 feet of hose, provided Council furnished a building. Council agreed to do so. South Chapel Street was ordered surveyed from Main to town limits, apparently preparatory to installing water lines for J. Pilling Wright’s new fiber plant. Water consumers three months in arrears were given ten days to pay up or lose service.
April 1906-St. Thomas Church asked for a water meter. Council ordered a one inch meter, which the church would pay for. Delaware College was ordered to have Fraternity Hall connected to the main college water meter. Fire hydrants for the new fiber plant would cost the company $18.00 each per year. Water used in the building charged at twenty cents per 1000 gallons. Town property taxes more than two years in arrears were subject to legal action. Council requested B&O RR to have the “floating gang of Italians removed from building near their depot and placed outside town limits as they were a nuisance to the neighbors, especially on Sundays.” Members of Council after the 1906 election were: Samuel Donnell, George Powell, Joseph Hossinger, Joseph Lutton, James Wilson, Ira McLaughlin, and J. Wilkins Cooch. John Chalmers elected policeman at $1.25 a day. Wages for street supervisor Alex Perry was 15¢ per hour.
Published: May 29, 2015
April-July 1906- Fencing was authorized on new pumping station right-of-way. Delaware and Atlantic Telephone Company was given permission to erect one pole and fixtures in front of National Bank of Newark and one in front of Exchange Building. It cost $370 dollars to lay water pipe and set fire plug for new fiber company. Contractor L. Jacobs agreed to repair all leaks for one year, as part of the contract. Curbing and “Macadamizing” the street west of B&O RR to the Episcopal parsonage was continuing. A motion was adopted to deactivate residential water meters and put all accounts on a flat rate. Another trolley company wanted permission to build a line in Newark. Efforts by a previous company had failed. Complaints were still being received about trains blocking crossings. Council voted to ask B&O RR for permission to build a Hose House on their property to give better fire protection to the west side of town. Mr. Wright, builder of the new fiber plant, was given permission to fill a ditch on South Chapel with clay. Tax rate for 1906 was set at $1.00 per hundred appraised value, with 25¢ going to White Clay Creek Hundred road commissioners. Settlement was made ($10.00) with Mrs. Corbett for damages to her property during construction of the new well. Bids were received on concrete curbs and gutters from Main to Delaware Avenue on South Chapel. Three additional policemen were hired for July 4.
Published: June 5, 2015
August-December 1906-St. John’s Catholic Church was required to add curbing and re-lay pavement along their Chapel Street property line to match other improvements being done on the street. An 18 inch pipe was placed across the lane on property of the Misses Wilson. Council granted the town library a special rate of $1.00 per month for lighting. The Episcopal Church was billed, to treasurer Dr. George Harter, for curbing set in front of their rectory. Council agreed to furnish water to four houses D. Rose intended to build on Delaware Avenue. Expense of street lighting was calculated at $1200 per year. The bailiff was permitted to buy an overcoat and a winter uniform, maximum cost not to exceed $8.00 and $15.00 respectively. Electric line and street lights on North College to Prospect Avenue and on South College to town limits were authorized. Apparently town electric service came from two sources as there were negotiations with two companies. All electric consumers using more than 2 lights were placed on meters at 7¢ per kilowatt hour with a minimum of $1.00 per month. Fee of $3.00 per year for water usage to be charged for “Cyphons” or cellar drainers. Where new curbs and gutters were installed, property owners had 60 days to lay pavement. Curb and gutters were installed on the east side of South Chapel from Delaware Avenue to Main along the E. Richards property. Treasury balance end of December 1906 was $1346.
Published: June 12, 2015
January-April 1907-Two loans of $2500 each held by Newark Trust and Newark National Banks were renewed for six months. Two carloads of crushed stone were ordered for street work. Council petitioned state legislature for a charter change reducing capitation tax to $1.00 per year. Council reviewed a bill submitted to the legislature which would allow Newark to borrow $20,000 for street improvements and extending light and water services. A contract with Pure Oil Company to buy gasoline for six months at 14½¢ a gallon was authorized. Council wanted to borrow a large water meter and attach it to new well for measuring gallons-per-hour pumped. The well was found to be producing 100,000 gallons per day. William Fisher complained that town water tank was overflowing and flooding his grounds and cellar. The water committee of Council was charged with finding a way to prevent the overflow. The collection of delinquent capitation taxes was turned over to Justice of the Peace Lovett. Messrs. Willis and Kennedy were new members of Council after the 1907 election. Mr. Herdman elected tax collector and he would get 6% of any money collected after August 1. Council met with the town Board of Health, making plans to prevent the spread of smallpox in the town and its vicinity. Doctors were to vaccinate any persons deemed necessary for the protection of the town and Council would pay for those who couldn’t afford it.
Published: June 19, 2015
May 1907-A one year contract for coal at $3.44½ per ton to operate the electric light plant was signed. Complaints were received from J. Wright and J. Kennedy in regard to poor condition of town ditches. No action taken by Council. Estimates were ordered for six inch water mains along full length of Cleveland Avenue and on Delaware Avenue from South College to Chapel Street. Additionally estimates on a concrete sewer across Main Street east of Dr. Kollock’s (now the corner of Center and Main). Concrete curb and gutter from Main Street to Kelley property on Elkton Avenue was under consideration, pending estimates. D. Rose, Miss Springer, H Hossinger, Mrs. Donnell, F Curtis, Mrs. Porter, property owners on West Main Street, were notified to have pavement laid along their frontage now that street improvements had been made. Council passed a resolution allowing Delaware & Atlantic Telephone Company to build phone service in town, following strict guidelines.
June1907-Several large property owners had their tax appraisals reduced, but one woman’s appeal of $1400 on 3 houses was refused. Installation of water mains was proceeding. There was another complaint about condition of ditches on Elkton Avenue. Council agreed to personally inspected the ditches the next day. Main Street was ordered swept from Newark Center (now Pomeroy Lane) to B&O RR, plus Chapel Street to be swept. Coal ordered under new contract was to be inspected before unloading.
Published: June 26, 2015
July-December 1907-A pole blown down on South College Avenue was repaired. Valves on fire plugs were added for access to water for street sprinkling tanks. Brick and stone gutters were authorized on Elkton Avenue from Delaware to Maple Avenue. Continental Fibre Company complained through their lawyer about sewage near their grounds. Pomeroy Railroad was told to repair the gutter damaged when a pipe was put under their tracks. The new water mains were to be ten feet from center of Cleveland Avenue and eight on Chapel and Delaware. A citizen asked for two streetlights at Cleveland Avenue and Margaret Street. Council agreed to one there and put one at B&O underpass. The lockup was clean and in good condition. The Board of Health had several requests: an ordinance against keeping a pigsty within town limits, physicians be required to report all cases of infections and contagious diseases, the town repair drains at South Chapel and Cleveland Avenue, and the old well be put out of service, thus using only new well. Later the Board asked an ordinance against spitting on streets and in public building. The town account was overdrawn by $344.38 at the end of October. B&O RR said town water main under their track was leaking and offered to repair it at town expense. A motion was adopted to have whistle at electric light station blown at 6 AM and 6 PM.
Published: July 3, 2015
January-July 1908 - Board of Health was concerned with polluted wells in town. Placing new streetlights on Delaware Avenue and Depot Road was left in hands of Light Committee. Doctors could be fined if not reporting contagious diseases to Board of Health within six hours of diagnosis. Spreading of lime where needed as a disinfectant was approved. Council borrowed $600 for ninety days. New Century Club was granted permission to access town water for street sprinkling. Selling water to U/D Experimental Farm at 25 cents per 1000 gallons was approved, University to pay all expenses involved. Several fireplugs needed repairs. After 1908’s election Messrs. Hossinger, Kennedy, Lutton, Willis, Jacobs, J. Cooch and Dr. Henry made up Council. L. Lovett was named Alderman, Lewis Fisher named assessor and town census taker, John Chalmers elected bailiff, at $1.25 per night. Curbing and guttering on west side of Academy from Main to Delaware and on east side of Choate were authorized. Free lighting was authorized for art exhibit at the new public school. Bids were sought for painting the town building and having cement flooring put in. Installation of water meters for all users was being investigated. Authorization to spend $4000 on street repairs was adopted. American Machine Company property was ordered placed on the assessment list. Mr. Barnard requested water service to operate his saw mill and for fire protection. (Barnard site is now Cleveland Avenue car dealerships.)
Published: July 10, 2015
August-December 1908 – Total expenses for Light, Water and Streets Departments for August totaled $1132. A $600 note was paid off and $5000 worth renewed for six months. A wire fence was authorized from Academy Street to school property, but the line was not defined. Street Department workers were to do digging and filling where water mains leaked. The Light and Water Committee was designated in charge of starting the electric light generation plant at night.
George Chalmers was employed as a Special Policeman to be on duty when needed. Plans were submitted and bids asked to build more jail cells, the contract going to George Griffin for $278.00. Metering of water usage was approved. Sixty-four citizens signed a petition to have a street opened between Main and Cleveland Avenue. Fifty-four petitioners requested a 4” water main and electric lines for Prospect Avenue. Both motion pictures house were notified that after ten days they would no longer be supplied with electricity to run their projectors. Delinquent tax payers were notified to pay up or face a sale of property for back taxes. Two additional streetlamps were requested between Delaware Avenue and South College. Aetna Fire Company was celebrating their twentieth anniversary and invited Council to their banquet. As requested by Health Board, Council appropriated $35.00 to purchase a fumigator for use in buildings where contagious diseases had been diagnosed. Switching from direct to alternating current was under discussion.
Published: July 17, 2015
January-April 1909 – Ransom Dempsey was paid $30.00 for seventeen nights as operator of the light plant. Edward Cooch, Esq. was paid $250 for professional services in regard to litigation with Continental-Diamond Fibre Company. Complaints were received that electricity was undependable in December, with requests for better service. A study of switching city electric plant from direct to alternating would cost about $10,000 with another $1800 to change lines. Specifications and firm estimates do so were ordered and bids sought after consideration of plans. Apparently an agreement was reached with Elk River Heat, Light & Power Co to furnish electricity during the changeover at four cents per 1000 kilowatt hours. A request was filed with State Legislature for an amendment to Town Charter raising borrowing limits. New Century Club was allowed free city water for summer street sprinkling service. After election council members were: Messrs. Jacobs, Cooch, Kennedy, Campbell, Leak, and Dr. Henry. J. Pilling Wright was president. Jonathan Johnson and Doctors Harter, McKollock, Wolf, and Watson were named to Board of Health. Owners of gasoline tanks on sidewalks and signs over sidewalks were notified to remove them within 30 days. New councilman Leak insisted Council follow through and reach an agreement on the electricity issue. Apparently the number of town ordinances was unclear, as the secretary was instructed to prepare a list. The owner of a Merry-Go-Round paid $15.00 for a license to operate in town for the month of May.
Published: July 24, 2015
May 1909 - Kennedy urged Council to investigate opening a new street between Cleveland and Main. This matter came up periodically in the ensuing years. Running 4” water pipe on North College and Prospect Avenues would cost about $1000. It cost $2.50 to hire a wagon to “take a crazy man to state hospital.” Two or three policemen had to be hired for a June “automobile run” through town. Firecrackers of more than 1/2” diameter were banned in town. Two special officers were hired to assist in keeping order on July 4. Delaware College and Newark Academy were notified to have curbs and gutters installed. Board of Health urged that town gutters be flushed. Residents of North College and Prospect signed a petition to have water and electricity service installed. Several references in the minutes were made to extending utilities to “Evansville”, but no indication as to where Evansville was. An electric meter was ordered for the “rink” in order to light the building and run a “picture machine.” A fireman was hired to operate the water works pumping station. Town finances were in an unsettled state with notes continually being paid off or renewed to cover operations and expansion. The Board of Health bought a keg of chloride of lime and paid a man $1.50 per day to keep the gutters in a sanitary condition. Town attorney to investigate Council’s authority to condemn contaminated wells and order them filled at owner’s expense.
Published: July 31, 2015
August 1909 - Efforts underway to put town’s new electric generator online in August as service from the Elk River Light Company was proving unsatisfactory. George Moore won contract , at $75.00, for scraping and painting town well standpipe with best red lead and linseed oil. B&O RR consented to lay water pipes along its property as requested. An ordinance was drawn to prohibit any councilman directly or indirectly benefitting from contracts for town work. Town day laborers were paid each Tuesday for preceding week. September-October - Prof. Freudenburger from Delaware College had been overseeing the building of town electrical generating plant from beginning. He said the new engine and dynamo failed its preliminary testing, so the manufacturer, Russell Engine Company, was called in to correct problems or remove the dynamo. Town attorney, Charles Evans, was to handle correspondence with Russell. In the meantime town had to continue buying power from Elk River. Messrs. McNeal and Strahan asked to have electricity furnished them, although their property was outside town limits. Council agreed to extend the lines on South College Avenue at property owners’ expense, electric usage rates to be the usual. The Misses Wilson asked for water service to houses they were building on New London Avenue outside town limits. Council agreed to do so at owners’ expense. A walkway across Main Street was ordered placed near the Kappa Alpha Fraternity. Additional street lights were ordered on Cleveland Avenue near Duling’s Store.
Published: August 7, 2015
November 1909 - Interest, $762, on light and water bonds was paid. Policeman Chalmers was instructed to report at the telephone exchange every two hours during his overnight shift, beginning at 6:00 P.M. Only one bid ($1149) was received for laying water pipe on North College and Prospect Avenues, Wilbur Street and Depot Road, so action was deferred. A 2 inch pipe was laid on New London Avenue to supply the Wilson houses. Town fireplugs were ordered examined and repaired. Superintendent of Light and Water was asked to turn in each month a list of supplies on hand and what would be needed in following month.
January-March 1910. The new year opened with $1169 in town treasury. Benjamin Campbell was notified that he must run waste water out the back of school property instead of front. Oscar Caskey asked Council to investigate the bursting of water meter in his store, but was told he had no grounds to complain to Council. Dispute between Russell Engine Company and Council concerning dynamo engine continued. Ajedel Fireworks Company asked for electric service to their plant on Depot Road and Council agreed to run service lines, supplying current at six cents per kilowatt hour. Council voted to ask for bids on a $10,000 bond issue at 5% for ten years, but reconsidered and approached both local banks instead. County Levy Court would pay $50.00 per year toward five new streetlights installed on Depot Road beyond town limits.
Published: August 14, 2015
March-April 1910 - All water meters now installed back of building line must be moved forward to line. Mr. & Mrs. Albert Lewis deeded eight feet of property on west side of Academy Street to town. Delinquent taxes must be paid within thirty days, or would go to collection by law. A Russell Engine Company engineer said he had the engine running well and Council moved that if it ran properly for one month, they would make the final payment. Mrs. Roach was granted permission to move a building to Delaware Avenue along town streets. A 20 inch town drainage pipe on Councilman Joseph Cooch’s property was to be extended 125 feet. Dust control using oil on town streets was considered and other towns using oil would be consulted. Allen Reed was appointed town bailiff at $40.00 per month. Pure Oil Company was supplied with water beyond town limits, they to pay for meter and a 25% premium on usage rates. Council street and utility committees were to employ help as needed without going through Council. Street Committee was instructed to look into repairing curbing from “lower end of town” to Methodist Church as requested by property owners. Mrs. Curtis protested to Council about slaughtering of cattle within town limits. The Board of Health was given full power to act on the problem. Continental-Diamond Fibre wanted permission to tie into town electricity when their generator was down.
Published: August 21, 2015
May-August 1910 – A meter for streetlights was ordered. Council was trying to get exact production costs and usage of electricity and water. Property owners where curbs had been placed were given notice to install sidewalks within 30 days or the town would do so and put liens on property. Apparently it would become a duty of the policeman to turn off streetlights in the morning. The two telephone companies in town were ordered to paint their poles to match city-owned ones; a color sample was supplied by Council. Permission extended to Mrs. Roach to move a building over town streets was reworded. Moving must be completed within certain days or a fine of $50.00 per day would be levied. She to be responsible for damage to other property Edward Herbener was ordered to avoid loud playing of his gramophone. Assessment on Exchange Building was lowered to $4000. Prospect Avenue, at 50’ wide, was dedicated to the town as a public street. The treasurer was given permission to pay bills as money became available. A year’s contract for gasoline, twelve cents/gallon delivered to pumping station, was awarded. Working with Delaware College to remove trees and widen North College Avenue was considered. The treasurer, falling behind in collecting taxes, was warned that proceedings against his bond would ensue. The Board of Health was urging construction of a complete town sewer system. The Pomeroy Railroad’s leaving trains at Newark Center overnight was causing concerns.
Published: August 28, 2015
September-December 1910 – Annual $250.00 appropriation to Aetna Fire Company would be made as soon as money was in treasury. Mayor was given authority to act on taxing dogs. Residents of North Chapel Street continued to complain about train engines on sidings behind their houses. Continental-Diamond Fibre Company was given permission to tap the water line running across their property to fill their concrete fire-protection reservoir now under construction. The Alderman was ordered to send in a detailed monthly report and property owners on South College were ordered to lay pavement. Increasing water and electric rates was under discussion. Policeman Wilson was given permission to buy a uniform hat and coat at Council’s expense. Hiring a man to work on streets, at $35.00/month, was authorized and he was sworn in to act as policeman during the day if needed. Five hundred dollars was borrowed to pay current bills, with repayment to be made from month’s receipts. A study of profit and loss from the original building of water and light plants was ordered and found an average yearly loss of $1368 over 18 years. New water rates were set and meters installed at each user site at town’s expense, with consumption on site to be paid for, “whether used or wasted.” Any property exempt from town taxes would pay an additional 25%. The problems with operating water and light utilities were forcing Council to consider leasing out the plants.
Published: September 4, 2015
January-March 1911 – All city property as of December 5, 1910, including equipment, wells, piping, electric lines, and some real estate was valued at $84,000. Council accepted Aetna’s invitation to their annual banquet at the Opera House. A Delaware Ledger article recently pointed out a need for more streetlights on Main Street, so installation of fifteen arc lights was directed. An in-depth feasibility study of leasing the light and water stations led to an agreement with newly-formed Newark Water and Electric Company to immediately take over full operations. However, certain citizens were against leasing the plant and served a restraining order on president of Council, but the lease had been signed earlier in the day and was legal. This suit led to several months of wrangling. Council’s next big project had to be consideration of installing a full-service town sewer system. As ordered earlier, the Alderman presented a detailed monthly report of those appearing before him and fines assessed. A total of $32.00 was collected from H. Hess, W. Naudon, J. Hobbs, J. Price, A. Burgess, and G. Moore. The next month one man was committed to the Workhouse and another given sixty days for being drunk, disorderly, swearing, and “exposing his person.” Alderman Lovett was notified to employ John Chalmers as special Saturday night police officer. Assessed value of all taxable persons and property in town was $ 774,675, as of February 1911
Published: September 11, 2015
April-June 1911 – A bit of squabbling seemed to be going on over leasing the water and light plants to private operators. Apparently some citizens disagreed with Council’s decision and the finances involved, but the resolution is unclear. However the Council was to collect all water fees and turn them over to the Newark Water & Electric Company minus a 4% commission. Mrs. Houghton of the Civic Committee asked Council to prohibit chickens loose on the streets, forbid the throwing of printed matter onto lawns and sidewalks, and to look into the condition of Chambers’s shop on South College Avenue. The Alderman collected $9.50 in fines in April. Free running dogs were still a problem and a dog catcher was employed to impound any un-muzzled dogs. A captured dog had to be redeemed in 24 hours, a fine of $1.00 being imposed, or it would be destroyed. A new dog pound was being erected. Among those who appealed their property tax liability after the annual assessment was Thomas Claringbold who objected to the $30,000 valuation. Council refused to lower it. The 1911 tax rate was $1.00 per hundred. Plans and specifications for building town sewers were accepted as drawn. Citizens outside town limits requesting electric service could secure it provided they paid for running lines between town limits and their property. Council attorney Evans was authorized to prepare an agreement between the town and American Vulcanized Fiber Company for water service ensuring fire protection for the plant.
Published: September 18, 2015
June-September 1911 - J. Pierce Cann was to take 15% commission on taxes he had collected and make an accounting to Council of total so far, which was $46.34. The Light Committee was ordered to work with the residents of Prospect Avenue on their request for electric service. Unneeded 4” water was sold for $60.30. Council allowed a Merry-Go-Round, waived the license fee and charges for electricity and water for Aetna Fire Company’s August carnival. Council also made its annual appropriation of $250.00 to Aetna. Messrs. Ferguson and Wollaston were ordered to have pavement laid in front of recently purchased lots. Three “combination” fire hydrants were purchased. Pomeroy Railroad would be allowed to purchase water for their engines at the regular water rates and the Company to install a meter at their expense. The Board of Health was ordered to “make inspection and put town in sanitary condition.” Council would pay any resulting bills. The speed limit in town was raised from eight to twelve MPH. Five signs were ordered placed at town limits warning of speed limits. Estimates were sought on moving a pipe line on South College Avenue from the center to side of road and “Macadamising” the street from Main to town limits. Stewart & Donohue Company bid $1200.00, but the matter was deferred due to shortage of fund. American Vulcanized Fiber was to get free water for fire-fighting only and extend the pipe line at their expense.
Published: September 25, 2015
September-December 1911 - The town’s 20” drain on Joseph Cooch’s property was extended fifty feet, as it was undermining his stable. An additional streetlight was ordered on Delaware Avenue near the Roach property. A new ordinance against trains blocking streets was given first and second reading. Typhoid was found in some water samples from the west end of town. Allen Reed was paid $10.00 for taking prisoners to the workhouse (now site of Wilmington & Western Railroad and a county park.) A request was put in newspapers that citizens refrain from throwing rubbish and ashes onto streets.
January-April 1912 – Electric rates were set at minimum $1.00 for 12 kilowatt hours. Additional usage subject to higher charge. Those outside town limits had 25% added to their bills. All water usage was by meter measurement at given rate “whether used or wasted.” Dr. Kollock was appointed to unexpired term caused when Eben Frazer moved. Delaware & Atlantic Telephone Company asked permission to build a line from eastern limits of town to North College Avenue, but was turned down. A quantity of excess street dirt sold for $7.50. C. Strahorn was given 24 hours to remove his property from the alley by the Presbyterian Church. The B&O RR was requested to put windows in their watch boxes so the watchman could better see trains coming; and to somehow prevent objects falling through the overpass onto North Chapel Street.
Published: October 2, 2015
April-September 1912 - Council called a special meeting April 16th to pass a resolution: “That the Council of the Town of Newark, Delaware heartily approves of the building of the great Boulevard by General DuPont and favors any measure that may be enacted toward the speedy completion of the road.” Allan Reed was dismissed as bailiff and Egbert Shellender hired to replace him. Surveyor Wilson was instructed to draw plans and specifications for paving Cleveland Avenue. Walter Powell was told to stop his drainage that runs onto Delaware Avenue. A request by Mr. Lovett for reduced assessment on the Exchange Building (now Klondike Kate’s) was refused. As in 1911, Mr. Claringbold objected to $30,000 assessment of his property, saying he though $8000 would be correct. Again Council refused. The bailiff was instructed to enforce the town ordinance against speeding and reckless driving. Former bailiff Reed had not yet turned in the town-owned revolvers in his possession so the Alderman was ordered to demand them. A telephone was authorized to be installed in Bailiff Shellender’s home. Unsanitary gutters were a continuing problem and $100.00 was appropriated to the Board of Health toward clean-up. Contract for paving Cleveland Avenue with 4” macadam went to Stewart & Donohue at $4168.00. Where new curbing had been set, property owners Miss Philips, Miss Kennedy, Thomas Walker, Cecil Ferguson and George Huber were given thirty days to have sidewalks put in.
Published: October 9, 2015
October-December 1912 – Drainage on Cleveland Avenue through Mrs. Willis’s property was under discussion. The first payment toward “macadamizing” Cleveland was $2000.00. A contractor was paid $563.00 for grading, furnishing stone and rolling North College Avenue, Prospect Avenue, and Wilbur Street. Wires over Philadelphia, Baltimore and Wilmington RR at the old station needed to be moved. Cost was $75.00 to install a 32’ x 2½’ culvert in at the west end of town. The Board of Health urged a public meeting to acquaint residents with need for a town-wide sewer system. The Board suggested that Council collect nformation from Seaford, Lewis and other towns concerning financing for public sewer. Alderman Lovett wrote Council requesting “authority to spend a few dollars for a mattress, sheet, pillow, comforter and also a bucket for the old cell…..for sick cases or medical needs…and two keys. We will see that no drunks or tramps enter and will keep it clean.”
January-February 1913 - Mr. MacKintire of Red Men’s Fraternal Home requested two street lamps. William Saunders was reimbursed $20.00 for taxes paid in error between 1904 and 1911 on the “Old Colored School” property which he had sold to Jane Clarkson. It took applying to the Delaware Legislature to get the attention of the B&O RR regarding watchmen and blocked street crossings. The railroad replied in surprise and Council told them numerous complaints had been lodged by the town with no results. Railroad superintendent said action would be taken to alleviate the problems.
Published: October 16, 2015
February-June 1913 – An additional pump was installed at the water works. Delaware College
agreed to convey to the town 35’ to widen road and add sidewalk on North College Avenue provided that certain trees were not disturbed and that Council would move and reset iron fence at town expense. Council appropriated $900.00 for 45 fire hydrants and $1520.00 for 128 street lights. George Chalmers was paid $1.00 for his assistance in making arrests. Electricity would be cut off on overdue accounts after ten days’ notice. Chalkey Hatton was paid $650.00 to design and oversee construction of sewer system and disposal plant. Under a resolution every tax payer whose property would abut the proposed sewer would have a chance to vote after the plans were exhibited for a specified period of time. Daniel Stoll was paid $48.00 to change out six fire plugs, the town to furnish new plugs and deliver sand as needed. Streetlights on Main were upgraded to 100 volts each. William Barnard was paid $5.00 each to take down thirteen trees, removing wood and brush, on the east side of North College Avenue. New Century Club asked Council to take over street sprinkling responsibilities, including raising funds. Council declined leaving the Club to handle this public service as before. Bids were taken for iron doors on hose house and iron fence facing two new jail cells. M. McAllester was hired as extra policeman for Saturday afternoon and night.
Published: October 23, 2015
June-December 1913 - Bank balance June 1 was $3388.32 Poor Mr. Claringbold was still trying, for at least the third time, to get the $30,000 assessment on his Main Street property reduced, but Council refused. Council rented a safe deposit box at Farmers’ Trust for $5.00 per year and borrowed $2500.00 to set up a sewer construction fund. Anyone opening a fire hydrant for any purpose except to fight fire would be fined $15.00 for each offence. Levy Court of New Castle County gave Council permission to lay a sewer line along the Wilmington and Newark Turnpike between town limit and McKee’s Lane. Some questions concerning a poolroom came but no details are given. Aetna’s annual appropriation was raised to $500.00. The sewer line contractor was charged 10¢ per 1000 gallons of water needed to back fill the trench, he is to furnish the meter and pay for tapping the water line. A plan was worked out with B&O RR to lay sewer line under tracks at three grade crossings in town. Delaware College wanted North College paved.
Purchase of land from Edward Wilson estate for a sewer pumping station on New London Avenue was authorized. An additional $12,000 for sewer construction was borrowed for three months at 6%. For the first time Women’s College is mentioned when a 4” pipe was laid to provide water. Council demanded Jacob Thomas Company repair drain pipe damaged when they dynamited a tree stump on North College Avenue.
Published: October 30, 2015
January-August 1914 – Newark opened the new year with $1439.37 in the treasury. Complaints from the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches were lodged with Council concerning stores being open on Sundays. The Newark Garage and Electric Company was paid $12.00 for a radiator for the town building. Water main re-caulking was necessary between Newark Station (now Pomeroy Avenue) and the B&O RR. Contractor Jacobs (also a town councilman) was contracted to do the work for $6.00 per joint. Property surveys were made resulting in some appeals on the frontage taxable for sewer lines. Resurveys were done where disputed with adjustments being made. The fire company janitor was asked to clean the jail cells at an additional $2.00 per month. Council agreed to Diamond State Telephone and Western Union Companies’ joint agreement requesting to share pole lines on West Main Street. Paving North Chapel Street was approved then rescinded in favor of doing Main Street first. An ordinance regulating the cleaning of stables and removal of manure was adopted. Leonard Rhodes earned $60.00 per month at light plant engineer and town meter reader. Ordinances under consideration concerned new buildings on Main Street; submitting building plans for approval; and banning traction engines on Main Street. Fire apparatus was to have right-of-way and not be responsible for accidents when other vehicles blocked the way. Property owners Willis, Kilgore, and Teague of Cleveland Avenue were ordered to connect to the sewer immediately, due to high typhoid rate in that area.
Published: November 6, 2015
September-December 1914 - Residents with poorly maintained outside toilets were told to bring them up to standards, but Council retained the right to order connection to the sewer anyway within a year. A bid of 5½¢ per square yard to pave Main Street with Tarvia (a brand name surfacing material) on a chip base was accepted. Miss Etta Wilson invited Council to attend the first Community meeting of Newark High School. Fifteen residents of Main east of Chapel sent a letter complaining about having a pole line built in front of their properties.
The Misses Todd of Main Street sent a letter; “ We hereby protest any further trimming or mutilating of our trees…recently repaired from damages inflicted by wire men…..trimmed under our direction of such branches as might interfere…. We forbid representatives of any company from attempting to trim….” Response from Council “trimming of your trees would add to more perfect distribution of electric current and public safety. Whereas it is within our authority to trim trees that protrude….” The secretary was to write the Misses Todd that trimming would be done under the supervision of a forester on a given date. Town drains were insufficient during heavy rain causing complaints from Mr. Pyle, Delaware College, and B&O RR. Egbert Shellender resigned as bailiff and J. Apsley replaced him at $20.00 a month more.
January 1915 – Council looked to repealing tax exemption on fraternity houses, but needed state legislature approval.
Published: November 13, 2015
January-June 1915 – President Hossinger and Councilman Frazer were appointed to appear before the legislature regarding repeal of tax-free status of fraternity houses. An ordinance governing use of automobiles and requiring lights on them was passed. The Board of Health complained of public health nuisances on properties owned by Newark Academy and the Board of Education. The two institutions were given an additional three weeks to connect to the Town checking account earned $10.21 interest. Speed limit signs were repainted. The bailiff was allowed to order a new uniform and an extra pants, cost not to exceed $20.00. Both railroad companies were warned not to blow train whistles or exhaust steam while on sidings at night, nor stoke the firebox while in the station. George Moore asked permission for use of a traction engine to move Jones Rink Building across Main from South College to North College. Permission given provided he use planks under the engine to protect the street. Extension of water pipe on Corbit Street was under consideration. New London Avenue residents asked that a Special Colored Officer be assigned to that area. Council agreed when, after one month’s trial the citizens requested the officer be retained at $15.00 per month. Council agreed to purchase a used steam roller, but had to raise their price limit to $1200.00, when the best deal became available in Elkton. Arthur Draper was hired to run the steam roller at $2.50/day.
Published: November 20, 2015
June 1915 - William Barnard was given permission to build three bungalows on Cleveland Avenue. Issuing of permits for new, and alterations to, buildings would be handled by Councilmen Wilson, Barton, and Lutton. Clifford Jenkins’s appeal to the mayor to have his speeding fine refunded was tabled. E. Dawson’s appeal to Council to have his son’s fine for driving without lights was refused. The tax valuation on George Casho’s horse was reduced from $100.00 to $50.00.
July-September 1915 - Seven properties were cited in violation of sewer connection ordinance. Muffler regulations for cars and motorcycles were instituted. William Barnard was refused permission to move three houses over Main from Choate to South Chapel. Throwing of glass and bottles into the streets was prohibited. Earlier permission to move The Rink Building across Main was rescinded, due to violation of permit rules. Twenty more properties were in violation of sewer connection ordinance. Most of these properties were rentals owned by just a few landlords. Purchase of a motorcycle for the town policeman was under consideration. Engineering for Extension 2 of the sewer was underway. The Armstrong Building on Main was purchased before the ordinance against moving buildings on wheels, so Samuel Kilmon received permission to move it, but with a $500.00 security bond against damaging the streets. Complaints were lodged against Mrs. Wills because her chickens were running loose. Daniel Stoll was contracted to install a 2” water pipe under the Pomeroy Railroad to Grimes house.
Published: November 27, 2015
November-December 1915 - The Post Office requested that buildings be numbered to assist in delivery of mail. A map of town was drawn and Messrs. Hossinger and Barton were to locate the dividing line and establish east and west numbers. A 2” water pipe on Annabelle Street was authorized.
January-February 1916 - A fire siren was installed for a trial period. Sewer extension of 823’ was approved for South Chapel. The pool hall was among those given final notice to connect with the sewer, or suffer legal action. A month later the pool room was given permission to temporarily connect to a neighbor’s sewer, but must install a dedicated one when Council directed.
March-May 1916 – Leonard Rhodes resigned as engineer at the electric light plant, but would work a few more nights if needed. After the election council was made up of Messrs. Hossinger, Wilson, Barton, Johnson, Frazer, Fader and Lutton. H. Curtis was named to the Town Beautiful Committee and selected as his assistants Prof. Short, Prof. McClure, Rev. Rowan, George Rhodes, J. Wilson, J. Wright, E. Richards, and Harvey Hoffecker, John Pilling, John Chapman, and George Casho. The committee was authorized to purchase five trash cans for placement on the streets. More people were cited for not having connected to the sewer. W. Renshaw bid to haul crushed stone for the streets at 35 cents per ton or furnish a double team of horses and a man at $5.50 per day.
Published: December 4, 2015
May-August1916-A resolution was passed wherein someone could be fined $5.00 for putting handbills in mail boxes, under doors, or throwing on lawns or streets. They must be handed to a resident. Levy Court authorized opening county roads known as Depot (1200 feet), South Chapel Extended (450 feet), and Academy (1000 feet) for the purpose of installing sewers. The Doyle, Roberts and Wright properties on North Chapel Street and others throughout the town, not in compliance with sewer code, were ordered to connect within six months. Robert Gallaher was ordered to connect his property on the alley west of B&O RR to the sewer. This is the Robert Gallaher who later was on the Newark School Board and for whom the local school is named. Mr. Gallaher’s daughter Ann, a graduate of University of Delaware, was a US History/Civics and Economics teacher at Newark High for 3 generations. Among her students were several of Pencader’s volunteers. The Patton Street Sweeper manufacturer offered a one-week trial with option to purchase for $400.00. The annual resolution controlling fireworks for July 4 was enacted. Improvements to West Main Street using the Penetrating Process were authorized. Any town employees who owed town taxes would have the amount deducted from monies due them.
No pig pens were allowed in town after January 1, 1917. Speed limits and mufflers would be regulated after new signs were posted. The State Board of Health was contacted regarding control of typhoid fever in town.
Published: December 11, 2015
September 1916 - The pool room owned by the George Huber Estate was cited for not being connected to the sewer. The amount of water allowed free to each customer was criticized by the Board of Health as not being sufficient for a family and urged raising the amount to 3500 gallons per month. However, the request was tabled for now and would be granted as soon as pumping capacity was sufficient. Complaints were received of unnecessary bell ringing at B&O RR crossing. More and more property owners were being cited for not connecting to sewer. Daniel Stoll was paid 95 cents per foot to install 380 feet of pipe on South Chapel Street. The Sanitary Sewer Committee requested that the Board of Health be requested to resign due to dissentions. The Council met at the Deer Park to consider Delaware College’s request to break surface of Main Street for installing a heating pipe to Wolf Hall. Town attorney Evans was to write an article of agreement. Sewer engineer Mr. Kastenhuber said pumping stations on South Chapel and New London were about ready for electrical service and requested lines be run. The assistant policeman asked for an additional fifty cents for Saturday afternoons and nights, but the request was tabled. However W. Renshaw was allowed $1.00 per hour for running street sweeper at night. The Board of Health asked that regular town-wide garbage collection start after January 1, 1917.
Published: December 18, 2015
October-December 1916 Continuing squabbles between the Board of Health and Council’s lax code enforcement concerning 77 properties not connected to the sewer due to resulted in Council asking the entire Board to resign. The Board’s stance was since there was continuing typhoid fever in town sewer connections were desperately needed in order to contain the disease. Dr. Kollock, Dr. Watson and John Frazer refused to resign. No action was taken by Council on the matter at this time. Dr. Reed and Louis Curtis submitted letters of resignation. Purchase of steel cells for the lock-up was being investigated. Mr. Apsley was paid $25.00 for enforcing the Manure Ordinance. Grading and drainage work on Wilbur Street and Depot Road were being engineered. The Board of Education complained about sidewalk conditions on Academy Street in front of Ferguson property. Necessary materials to extend electrical service to the two new sewer pumping stations were on order. Mr. Heavelow complained his horse was injured and harness broken due to horse falling into trench on South Chapel. The high school alumni association requested that a member of Council join the General Community Committee. Mr. Frazer was appointed. Council’s attorney was instructed to draw an act for presentation to State Legislature requiring that candidates for election to Council file at least 10 days before election. More streetlights for Academy Street were under consideration. Definite studies were underway to combine the water and electric plants.
Published: December 25, 2015
February-June 1917 recommended improvements to the electric and water plants would run $14,000. The DuPont Company was given permission to tap North College Avenue fire plugs in case of fire at their acid plant. A new 8” well was approved for the water plant, cost $5.50 per foot. A new 400 gallon Triplex Pump was authorized at $844. Keeping of pigs in town was prohibited after April 1st. Raymond Lewis was paid $40.00 per month for garbage pickup twice a week May through November and once a week remainder of year. Main Street needed resurfacing end to end. National Vulcanized Fiber Company could have drinking water for nine houses and mill. A circus license cost $5.00. Petition from “colored people” asked for an office in their part of town. Mr. Messick of Chester was notified to appear before the magistrate and stand trial for speeding in town. Agnes Medill thanked Council for supplying excess street dirt to gardening class at public school. Council agreed to Charles Curtis’s request to furnish running water four months a year to fountain where animals could drink. Council hired men with horses and wagons to haul trash to dump after town clean-up days. Privies and street drainage on Kilmon and Campbell properties deemed public nuisances, ordered to connect to sewer. Restricting parking to the right side of streets was subject of an ordinance under consideration. However, designating which was right side on a two-street was not mentioned.