Two of the original grantees of the 30,000 acre Welsh Tract in Pencader Hundred, David Evans and William Davis, were
Presbyterians. David Evans became a Presbyterian minister and was the first pastor of the Pencader Presbyterian Church in Glasgow,
(originally called Aikentown.) The first church was built between 1701 and 1710 and originally conducted services in Welsh. Only
twenty feet by thirty-six feet, it stood to the north of the present church, about where the Sexton’s house now stands. The little frame building, with its steeply pitched roof and two doors and two windows in the front, was bought by Jacob Faris, Sr., one of the Trustees, and moved to the southern part of the village, where it served as a dwelling until it burned in 1913.
The second Pencader Church was built in 1782, using bricks burned on the nearby Jacob Faris farm. The same Mr. Faris planted the three
magnificent Sycamore trees, locally known as Buttonwoods, which are still standing next to the third and present building. The largest
measures sixteen feet in circumference and is more than one hundred feet high.
The present and third building, erected in1852 at a cost of $5,000, was described as being, “as stiffly and uncompromisingly Protestant
in its lines as were the backs of the men who caused it to be built.” Indeed, one of the disagreements splitting the congregation into two
camps was the issue of whether or not it was decadent to put a stove in the church for heat; braving the cold was considered part of
normal churchgoing. The Presbyterian Manse is to the north on old Rt. 896. It is shown as a Presbyterian Orphanage on an early map,
but this may be a typographical error and is still being researched.