New Pencader museum to open for
annual heritage day festival

By ROBIN BROWN, The News Journal
Friday, September 28, 2007

Delaware's newest museum opens Saturday on land where the state's only Revolutionary War battle was fought.

The Pencader Heritage Area Association is opening its new museum as the nonprofit group for the first time holds its annual celebration of local history and culture at its own site.

The seventh annual Pencader Heritage Day is 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Cooch-Dayett Mills Complex at Del. 72 and Old Baltimore Pike in the Cooch's Bridge area. The Brookside Lions Club will be serving food.

The free event includes games for children, pony and hay rides, moon bounce, youth competition and obstacle course provided by the Delaware National Guard, youngsters' fingerprinting by the Newark Police Department and the public's first chance to see the new museum of local history.

Entertainers are to include Glasgow High School U.S. Air Force Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps Drill Team, Glasgow High School Marching Band and the Fifes & Drums of the Delaware Militia. Other groups also support the event.

The museum is located in a state-owned barn, built in 1865 on a field where the Battle of Cooch's Bridge was fought in 1777. The association rents the barn for $1 a year.

The first floor -- housing exhibit and meeting space -- was renovated with a state grant through Rep. Bill Oberle. Many items exhibited there were donated or lent for display.

Among them are antique and contemporary items crafted in traditional ways -- contributed by Chief Quiet Thunder of the Lenni Lenape Tribe that inhabited the area -- and photos of the 1951 production of the M48 battle tank in Newark. Parts of an original tank, including the dashboard and phone, are to be exhibited in a "hands-on" area.

To learn more about Pencader Heritage Area Association, including how to donate items for the museum, visit

Contact robin brown at 324-2856 or

Email PHAA